Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok! Finally I have the money ($600) and I need help getting my first compound bow. I`m 6,4 and plenty of strentgh. I`m gonna hunt mostly from the ground (california) and deer are my target. I used bow before but not compound. I`m willing to put time in to tunning it my self but is it possible to put whole bow together/tune it without the expensive bow press? I`m looking for something challenging(not for beginners) that I can feel comfortable with, while hunting.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Being 6'4'' , I don't think you want to go with a bow that is shorter than 36" long!!!!! That would be the minimum!! You'll probably want to go with a HOYT!!!

or a Mathews or a Bowtech last choices!!!:embara:

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Mathews makes the switchback for tall people...cant go wrong with mathews...but thats my opinion..go to a bow shop and shoot all kinds..then when u buy the mathews you know what ya got

·
Registered
71 Posts
do this

Go to bow shop. Shoot everything he has and buy what feels best to you.Good Luck

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
The problem with being tall is the acute string angle that a short bow with a 30+ inch draw will have!!! Not saying you want shoot a 30 inch bow alright, but I guarentee you that you will shoot a longer one better!!!! I've seen it too many times!!!! At twenty and maybe thirty yards you might be ok with parctice but step out past thirty and do a comparison!!!! I agree with the other person, shoot as many as you can, but do yourself a favor and get one of THE BIG THREE!!!!!

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
with $600 you might have little options with sights rests and release taking up a third of it.

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
Best thing to do is go to a pro shop and shoot several different bows Me personally I love the Browniing Illusion you can adjust the draw length with just an alen wrench but hoyt Mathews Bowtech and a few other I didnt mention make some really nice bows but some of the higher end bows Like the Illusion The swithback and the allegince will cost you just over 600 for the bare bow

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
that is a nice bow I shot one and didnt really dislike it but the Illusion was smoother and everybit as fast but was a good 5 inches shorter axle to axle which is waht I wanted for when i was in trees or in the blind so that i would have better clearence

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
discobat2000 said:
Let's forget about a price for a sec? How about this one?http://www.pse-archery.com/prod.php?k=55445&u=0613NH#
yeah that will work but i highly suggest you go to a pro shop and shoot them. you may like something different and camo bows sell faster used than a target color does. just in case you ever sell the bow down the line.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I am 6' 4" as well and I have shot the Allegiance, Mathews LX, and my old PSE, and I would have to say that I would go no shorter than the 34 inch ata that the allegiance offers. The Allegiance was very comfortable to me, and is what I am going to be buying next. Like everyone else has already said, go to a pro shop and shoot as many as you can.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts