Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a used Mathews DXT with the G5 XR sight, Trophy taker drop away rest, and new string. I had the shop change the cam to lengthen the draw from 28" to 29". I replaced the fiber optic threads on the sight. Shoots like a champ and has been very fun until until the other night i was low and right 6 inches with a tight group. I adjusted the sights took it hunting last night and this morning. When in got home I shot it again and this time I was 6 inches low at 20 yards and who knows how deep in the lawn the arrow i shot at 30 yards is.
Everything on the sight seems tight as well as the rest, the peep and notch loop don't seem to have moved either. I adjusted the sight once again and seems to be dead on.
The area I have been hunting is a nasty hour and a half rodeo of a trail and Ive been keeping my bow out of the case and next to me in case a rabid deer attacks me on the way to my hunting hole. (dumb, I know) Could the bumpy road throw it off that bad or am I looking at something else???

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Too many variables. All I can suggest is to tighten everything down and inspect every square inch of your bow with a fine tooth comb and magnifying glass.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
"New string" would be the first thing I would consider. New strings, depending on the quality can take a couple hundred shots to settle in, then the bow will need to be re-tuned. Check that the rest was tied in properly.

Here is a list of things to check

Limb bolts - put a mark on the at the 6 o-clock position for future reference
Limbs - run a cotton ball over them to check for cracks or delamination
Cam Orientation (this will check string/cable stretch - note how the cam relates to the limb or string and see if it rotates
Nock height (could be nock or rest) - check with a square and note where it is
Peep Height - measure from the inside of your loop to the center of your peep
Rest timing - make sure you rest is mounted solid, is coming up all the way, and is dropping soon enough
Sight screws - don't have to really torque on them, but make sure they are snug.

ALSO check your shooting form.

Mitch

·
Registered
50,316 Posts
Something came loose and moved-----you need to mark and figure out what it is. It's NOT the string or cable, they don't change that suddenly, it is something else. If your using a peep and or kisser that is what I would check first if everything else seems tight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts