Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Martin Phantom II, Fuzion cam

Changed from F-3 to F-4 module to adjust draw length. Also changed to new string while I had the bow down.

When I get it back together and draw it back, the cable slide cames too far back. Only half of the slide is still on the cable guard at full draw.

What did I do wrong?

In my haste to get up and shooting I did not measure the new string and cable.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
How are your ATA and BH measurements?

I have no clue what I'm talking about, I'm stalling for someone smarter to happen along.

·
Banned
910 Posts
if the cable gaurd bar can slide out , slide it out some..if not ,get a longer cable gaurd bar. It is possible there could be another problem....but it could be you just have too short bar for the set up.

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
Something is definitely off. I've got that bow (or at least had it put together in that configuration at one time) and I've thought of cutting the cable guard down.

I agree, what are your specs as it stands?
According to my notes mine was 33"ata and 6 1/2" brace. 88" string and 36" cable.
It's hard to tell but it looks like I had 1 1/2" of extra cable guard sticking out at full draw, that is what I have on my Phantom II Dyna.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ATA is 37 1/4"
BH is 7 1/4

I cannot find the specs on the Martin Web site.

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
Ahh, straight limbs. Don't pay attention to my specs then, they're for magnums.
Here you go, http://martinarchery.com/bows2003/pha.htm and
http://www.martinarchery.com/chart/2003chart/f_zmod-string.html

Strings should be 97" and 40". Specs 37 1/2 and 7 1/8. Having the AtA that 1/4" too short could do it I guess. Maybe that bow is pushing it that close, you do say that only half the slide comes off.

Sorry but I'm not going to change out my Nitrous cams to check how mine does with straight limbs, Fuzion cams and a cable guard :)
Easy fix, buy Nitrous cams with the X mods and don't use a cable guard :wink: (Not really, that would probably add around 15-20lbs of peak weight using the same limbs.)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hands hurt from taking the bow down so many times

OK. Put old module back on (still with new strings). Same results. Back to new module. Double check cable routings. Move from #3 peg to #1 peg. No change.

Back to old cables, with new module. Slide seems to come back a little farther than it used to, but not sure. Definitely not as far back as with new strings.

Old Strings:
ATA 37 3/4
BH 6 7/8

I guess old cables have stretched a bit.

Anyway, go back to new cables, and pull out the guard about 1/8 inch. Now the slide overhangs the end of the guard about 1/8" as opposed to the nearly 1/2" originally. Maybe I pulled the guard out more than I thought. Maybe the gravitational pull of the moon was in the wrong direction the first time.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Myk,

Sorry, I should have pointed out I have straight limbs.

Thanks for pointing me to the specs. I knew I has seen them on the website recently, I just could not get to the right place.

I'm so disappointed you won't disassemble a couple of bows to get parts to build up a setup like mine just to see what you get:cry:

Also, I'm not sure the limb bolts were bottomed out the first time I measured. In the current setup (new strings) with the bolts bottomed, I am getting 37 3/8 and 7 1/16.

While we're on the topic, do most folks generally lubricate the threads of the limb bolts? My bottom bolt is much harder to turn than the top when loaded.

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
While we're on the topic, do most folks generally lubricate the threads of the limb bolts? My bottom bolt is much harder to turn than the top when loaded.
White lithium grease.
And I found that putting some on the head of the bolt helps it turn easiest.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts