Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not had this problem before but now my bowstring is hitting my arm to the point that the string is fraying badly at that point just below the serving. I have to wear an armguard now as well and that makes it worse. Ive wrapped 2 layers of floss a couple of inches below the serving, but it doesnt last long. I just started shooting an LX and only thing I can think of is the grip is wider....any suggestions. I work hard to get my draw length right...only thing i know is to serve down more?? easton94

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
EASTON94;

Generally the solution is to open your stance a little or shorten your drawlength a little. You might be torquing the string with your release, or adding torque with your bow grip. Have someone watch you for a few shots, and see if they can identify if there is something obvious that you may be doing that you can't see while shooting.

-CG

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
string hitting arm

Check your grip on the bow handle.
Be sure that you have a straight hand contact with the bone to riser contact. No bend in the wrist at the riser grip or the forearm turned in. The bow handle should be to the right of the life line in your palm. (Right hand shooters)
If the bow handle is wide, take the side plates off and lightly pad the area where the flesh makes contact with the bow handle, (riser), you can use mole skin for padding.
Good luck and shoot em straight.

My web site:
"shotbow" site on the links page.

http://home.earthlink.net/~baswb/archery/

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
seems like you are rolling your bow shoulder in. opening your stance will work as well as lowering bow shoulder. Post a pic of your form if possible.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
You said you just started shooting it? Sounds like the draw length might be too long. That is what happened to me when mine was long.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ill have to take some pics and post later, i have no digital camera. thanks for the help, ill try the above suggestions 1st. easton94

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
One other thought! I agree with all that was said before but it may be the string itself. I had similar problem (although not to the point of fraying the string) when I put on new strings. Factory strings have small weights on them near the bottom cam. New strings did not. Placed Speed Ball at about same area on the new string. Then shooting through chronograph with various distances of the Speed balls from the cam to the point of fastest arrow speed. This takes out the max amount of string oscillation and no more string slap. Worked for me. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Several people have complained at the local shop about this. Most say they have no similar problem w/ higher brace height Mathews (ie. Legacy, Q2). They can alternate from one to the other and only the LX hits their arm. Unfortunately they haven't figured out a solution. Hopefully I can tell them what the AT members have to say.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jrc123, i would agree as i had a legacy as well with no problem. went to an ultratec and had string slap on my arm, and now on the lx as well. i can deal with the string hitting my arm with a guard. i just have to find a way to save the string. easton94

·
Registered
222 Posts
Dont think this dosent make sence just try it. Put a cat wisker on the bottom of your string about 4 or 5 inches above your cam and see what happens. Just Try it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sounds to me like to long a draw length, shorten the draw length till you can put a slight bend in your arm. Seen this one before, locked elbow will do it every time.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
don't know how old your stirng is and if you have been shooting ti for a while, and is it a factory or custom string and cable. sounds like it could be too long of a draw and could be stretch. another thing is your torquing the bow which again can be due to stretch and leaving you with too long of a draw length. another thing is you way too deep in your grip for this bowwhich will also cause the problem or your getting tired from shooting so much and you need to work at shorter lengths of time and work on developing better muscle control
rob k

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
its a brand new string. and i shoot 70-80 arrows a day so im not sure. i have just heard of alot of people having the string slap problem with the new LX's. so im thinking im just going to have to take regular serving down past that point to protect the string. easton94

·
Registered
441 Posts
I would agree with alot of the previous replies... check you draw length. Make sure you bow shoulder isn't rolled... it needs to be low and "locked", not tense. Think bone to bone.

Then as stated previously, you may need to open you stance. Try this. Face a target at 20 yards. Close your eyes, draw the bow and anchor... open your eyes and see where you have anchored in relation to the target.... if you are way off to either side adjust your stance (more open or closed) and repeat until you can get with in a few inches of the target. Don't worry about heighth, just left and right. This should help your alignment to the target.:)

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
hey easton i sent you a pm
rob k

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Do post those form pictures! :)

As you suggested, if everything is fine, then perhaps you'll have to serve the string for a longer distance and wear an arm-guard---but that's OK! Do you have Zebra strings? Would Winner's Choice be served to the length that you would need?

Try a target guard like a Beiter, as it must be very smooth on the string as it passes (unlike fabric designs) and reduce wear.

Personally, I would never destroy good form by introducing a bent bow elbow, but I would check the "angle" that your elbow makes. Most Olympic guys have their elbow pointing to the left (around 8 o'clock?), and not straight down (6 o'clock). (You can monkey around by rotating your bow arm about its axis....)

Good luck with this,

kgk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts