Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Placebo Power!
12,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance for the help. My normal "Mentor" is in Brazil and I am attempting to tune my new Drop Zone. I have been using a Bodoodle Pro 500 for years and have decided to try out the trend.
Here is my problem. I have also changed arrows at the same time. I am attempting to spine some of the Carbon Express Maximas. I have a dozen of the 250 and 350's. I have basically determined that the 350's are WAY stiffer than my old 300 3D selects. I shoot a Rival Pro at about 64 pounds with a 29.75 inch draw length. To make a very long story short- I can't get anything but a right tear. It is very slight but, with both arrows cutting a half inch at a time and changing point weights between 75, 100, and 125 grain, I keep getting the same SLIGHT right tear. I have slowly gone through each arrow combination lowering the draw weight 1 turn at a time, each test to the same result. I am beginning to think that it's just my inexperience with the drop away. Is all this normal? If it is, how in earth do you spine your arrows? I normally "prove" the spine by working until I get a combination that tears as they "should" when I add or subtract point weight or move the rest or change draw weight.
Any and all advice is welcome.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
if you haven't a clearance problem it maybe be that they are too stiff You could try increasing your poundage a little or moving your rest to the left if your a right handed shooter

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
1) Adjust the nock up and down a touch and see what happens. I tuned a buddy's last night by just moving the nock down a tiny bit.

2) Adjust the rest windage in and out and see if the tear changes.

3) Make sure the lift arm is all the way up for only the last 2" of the draw.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
In my experience with a drop away ( and this is just my opionion by no means anything to take to the bank but it may help) It is harder to paper tune than say a pro 500 there is no guidance along the way it just drops so form and release play an important roll in teh paper tuning process. EX. I got a new switchback and couldn't get it to paper tune for nothing. A slight and I mean slight left tear every time. I changed poundage, rests ( Dropzone, to Trophy Taker , to Mathews , back to Trophy Taker) I changed arrows, everything I did no matter what a slight left tear. I eventuallly put it down for 3 to 4 days out of frustration and went back and really focused on form and a good release and started shooting bullet holes with the original setup I started with. I sometimes think I can blame it on somthing easier than just saying It could be me..... Anyhow I hope this helps and good luck with it.

John T.

·
Placebo Power!
12,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I won't begin to say that the problem isn't me but, I have spent the last 10 years being trained and raised (step father) by one of the best coaches in the US. I have confidence in my form, follow-through, grip, release, back-tension, etc. I however do not have confidence in my new setup. I have moved the rest and nock heigth accordingly to no avail. Is it your experience that the arrow tear will "move" with a drop away rest just like it will with a prong type rest when adjusted?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.