Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the newbie question, and please point me to the right thread if this has been covered extensively elsewhere. Just bought my first bow (Elite Hunter, 29" draw). I intend to use the bow primarily for its namesake (i.e. hunting) but also want/plan to do lots of target practice. How do I determine proper arrow length (and weight for that matter)? I've been thinking 360-380 grains for weight will get me to the KE I want without losing too much speed, but is there a standard or differing opinions about what the arrow length should be and why?

Any help is greatly appreciated (including recommendations on a good arrow for my intended use).

Thanks!

·
Registered
162 Posts
What kind of rest are you useing?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Initially I will be drawing 50# (shoulder and elbow injury) but hope to work up closer to 60 eventually.
Currently a G5 rest but swapping it out for the TR Revolution (which I already have but need to install). Will probably alternate between that and Sure Shot WB depending on how I like the Revolution.
No peep on the string (will be using the peepless Eliminator Pro).
Hope that helps, and thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Sorry for the newbie question, and please point me to the right thread if this has been covered extensively elsewhere. Just bought my first bow (Elite Hunter, 29" draw). I intend to use the bow primarily for its namesake (i.e. hunting) but also want/plan to do lots of target practice. How do I determine proper arrow length (and weight for that matter)? I've been thinking 360-380 grains for weight will get me to the KE I want without losing too much speed, but is there a standard or differing opinions about what the arrow length should be and why?

Any help is greatly appreciated (including recommendations on a good arrow for my intended use).

Thanks!
It is a balancing act in selecting an arrow that will give you enough available downrange(don't be too concerned with the upfront KE, since downrange is where it counts) KE and be correctly matched between the dynamic spine and the static spine of the arrow.

You may find that in selecting an arrow that you may need to go heavier than the arrow weight your are thinking of using. It will again depend on your dynamic/static spine match as to how heavy or how light you can go.

Using an archery software program will assist you in determining the correct arrow to match the dynamics of your setup. One such program can be found at www.pinwheelsoftware.com which is On Target2 Software for Archers

good luck

·
Registered
606 Posts
Been running your bow through OT2 and the best match so far has been the PSE radial xweave 300's with 3 blazers and 100 grain tips cut to 27.5" of carbon. That is 27.5" without the nock or insert, now I could be wrong and may not have set something right in OT2 if so I'm sure someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
How much length do the nock and insert typically add? Will the tip be past my hand?
The nock/insert will add 1/2" to the measurement, so a shaft length of 27 1/2" will be 28" finished.

With todays designs in risers and rest, no need to worry about where the tip will be in relation to your hand, unless you plan on shooting standing on your head.

In your case a 28 inch arrow on a 29 inch draw will have the tip in front of your hand, if you are still worried about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts