Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Just made my first set of string's and cables for my PSE xpression. Set came out great. Bow is in complete spec as it was before changing threads. Tuned right up back to a bullet hole etc. But my question is, now the bow is super super unsteady from what it was at. Didn't change anything at all. Draw weight stayed the same, timing is the same. Draw length is same. Stabilizers same. Only difference in setup is my strings and cables are a 24 stand and old set was a 22. What could have possibly changed how the bow holds?? Dloop placement? Possibly to high? To low? Bow just seems to want to wander bad. And I really don't think its a form issue, because I shoot about everyday, with great results. Have a Vegas face tourny this weekend, and with how the bow is holding, a 300 is impossible. Someone please chime in with what it could be. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
Two things I would look at is the d loop height and arrow height through the berger button hole being different than what you had previously. This one's pretty big on feel and aiming. The other is holding weight. Changing to a smaller strand count will change your holding weight and give you a different feel at full draw.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Robert, and yeah I moved up the nock point just a tad to raise the arrow a little higher in the Berger hole, going to have to move it back down tomorrow. Just couldn't imagine raising it up the amount I did, would make the bow hold as badly as it does at the moment. And don't think the holding weight is the issue, because I'm pretty used to shooting high let off with my evolve 35 (90%) and I've played around the the 65 and 75 in my xpression without much difference for steadiness. But thank you for the option and advice. Oh and nice to see you shooting PSE. Good stuff. Thank you much for your time. Will drop it back down tomorrow and see what's up.

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,539 Posts
What you are experiencing is not unusual at all! IF everything was in fact exactly as it was before the new threads then the only thing you could possibly have different is the feel of 24 strands rather than 22 (assuming it is the same string material) and serving differences.

In a nutshell, everything is NOT exactly as it was with the old threads. Rarely do we measure every little thing as precisely as we should or could. Often when we replace old threads with new it's because the old is well worn. For example, old end serving can be worn thin and/or separated and the new serving is thick and not separated. Another example, let's say with th eold threads I had my limb bolts backed out 1 full turn to get exactly 58.2 lbs but with the new threads when I back one full turn off the limbs it pulls 58.6 lbs. Something has to be different between the old and new threads to make have a difference of .4 lbs and it could be combination of very small measurements.

Quite often just a little bit of adjustment in a couple of things makes a big difference in feel.

If I go a while without shooting after shooting 5 days a week (500+ arrows a week) for a few months when I go back to shooting the bow feels "odd". The bow didn't change. I changed! How I like a bow to feel after soem time off is often different from what I like when I'm shooting a lot.

Keep shooting and tweaking and you'll soon have yourself and your bow back in sync.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
If the diameter over the cams/modules changed then it's likely that the holding weight isn't the same and the valley could be effected.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, I got it figured out this evening. Dropped the rest and dloop down to top my arrow just below top of berger hole. Turned limbs down half turn and made it feel almost better than where I left off. Able to put up a decent Vegas score for practice tonight 299/22x. Not to bad in my eyes. Thank you all for the input

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,539 Posts
Thanks all, I got it figured out this evening. Dropped the rest and dloop down to top my arrow just below top of berger hole. Turned limbs down half turn and made it feel almost better than where I left off. Able to put up a decent Vegas score for practice tonight 299/22x. Not to bad in my eyes. Thank you all for the input
There 'ya go. A couple of little things combined can make a very noticeable difference in feel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts