Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to long ago I noticed that my supertec seemed like the draw length was way to long. I thought well it must be that the string has stretched or something even though that seemed weird to me because they were brand new strings and cables and they were custom strings. My poundage had also dropped from 62 lbs to 57 lbs. Well I just put on a brand new set of winners choice strings and cables and we had to give the cables 7 twists to get the poundage back up to 60 lbs. Here is the other weird thing. My buddy has the exact same bow as I do except his draw length is 28.5 inches as compared to my 28 inch draw. when he draws his bow back his insert on his 27 1/4" arrow stops at the berger button hole. When I draw his arrow back on my bow it comes so far back it almost falls off the rest. His draw length is 1/2" longer than mine. What the hell is going on here? Have my limbs gone bad or something? The draw used to be perfect and this bow used to fit me perfect. Something has happened and I can't figure it out. I do know that limbs go bad and lose poundage because I've seen it happen on other peoples bows. My buddy had it happen to one of his hoyts once and he said it caused his draw length to get longer. Here is the bows specs

03 Hoyt Supertec
28" draw
50-60 lbs

I'm calling Hoyt tommorrow to try and get this resolved. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any ideas what it could be?

·
Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,268 Posts
I have the identical bow as you. I also put Winners Choice X-coat string/cables on it. Winners Choice, I've been told uses some kind of different measurement system than the stock string/cables (I don't know how true this is). I had to twist up my strings/cables too to bring everything back to specs. But the bow shoots fine. 350 gr. 27" a/c/c, 60# max., 28" draw, 290 fps. and groups great out to 50 yds. You don't have a limb problem. You just need to tune it up better.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everyone keeps telling me to tune my bow but the problem is, is that it is tuned. When this bow was new it fit me perfect. This is the second set of new strings and cables so I know it's not that. When I'm at full draw I have to lean back to look through the peep. Used to I would have to lean into it. Also I keep losing poundage. I'm just saying that something isnt right and its not a tuning problem or the strings and cables.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
You must tune the pre-load on the limbs... and properly set the draw stop timing and cam sync... If you are convinced that isn't the case, then no one can really help you... in the end it is your decision; follow the advice or not... I’m not going to force you to properly tune the bow… shoot it anyway you like… Here is a link to the proper proceedure...

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=207391

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Roadrunner said:
Anyone else?
Yes;

What Javi said.....only with a stick slapped up along side your head.... :p

Learn to listen to the man.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Bobmuley said:
Yes;

Ditto

·
NC ASA Director
36,016 Posts
Check your ATA and brace height measurement to the Hoyt Tune charts and get back with us.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem Solved!

It looks like I don't need slapped up side the head after all because it was'nt my fault! I just got off the phone with Hoyt. I gave the gentlemen the measurements he asked for and they were way off. He asked me for the number on the cams and I said 7.0. Turns out the cams are 29" draw cams! My draw length is 28 inches! So either Hoyt accidentally shipped the bow with the wrong cams or my dealer had switched out the cams and then put different hoyt strings and cables on the bow to rig it to fit me and never told me about it. This makes perfect sense because then when I put on the correct size string and cables then everything was way long. What really pisses me off is that I never would have questioned the cam size because I bought this bow brand new from a BIG Hoyt dealer in Michigan. The sticker on my bow says 28" draw so I never questioned it. Thanks alot to you Javi for giving me alot of good info and trying to help me out, it is really appreciated. I'm still beside myself on this one, this is just ridiculous. I would also like to say a HUGE THANKS to hoyt (Brett Larson) for taking care of me! Hoyts customer service is the best bar none!

·
Sign me Up
1,760 Posts
Roadrunner said:
either Hoyt accidentally shipped the bow with the wrong cams or my dealer had switched out the cams and then put different hoyt strings and cables on the bow to rig it to fit me I would also like to say a HUGE THANKS to hoyt (Brett Larson) for taking care of me! Hoyts customer service is the best bar none!
Some dealers are like buying off Ebay, it's a same their allowed to sell high end bows :angry:

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
OK Roadrunner, I'll retract the stick for now, but never, never doubt Javi again. ;)

Sounds like everything should work out. :thumbs_up Just think, that bow will be even sweeter shooting when you're working the cams in their max position! :)

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bobmuley, Thanks for retracting that stick, my head hurts enough already from this stress from this problem. Believe me I never doubted JAVI, I just knew that there was something wrong out of the ordinary and I just could'nt put my finger on it. I still can't believe it. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Roadrunner said:
Bobmuley, Thanks for retracting that stick, my head hurts enough already from this stress from this problem. Believe me I never doubted JAVI, I just knew that there was something wrong out of the ordinary and I just could'nt put my finger on it. I still can't believe it. :thumbs_up
The strings will still fit...
string 58.5"
Control 40.25"
Buss 37.25"

all you need is a #6 cam...

Twisted up or short stringed and cabled... whichever they did; the bow would still shoot fairly well but the letoff would have been about 50% even in the 65% hole....

Most likely they swapped limbs between two bows... Does the sticker say SuperTec????

·
Registered
945 Posts
Good Deal!

:thumbs_up It is always a relief get these problems solved, I know I thought mine was tuned, but Javi took care of it and really tuned it.
I know I stressed out over it for two months, trying to fix the problems, When I myself could not have fixed it anyway since I did not have enough knowledge about it. I learned to listen better after my experience.:(

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
JAVI, LOL, Yes the sticker on the limbs say supertec 28" draw. Hoyt is sending me some 6.0 cams through another dealer that is really great and that I can actually trust. When they change out the cams I will check and make sure the bottom of the limbs say 74 and that will confirm whether or not it is the right limbs and the right limb deflection. The dealer in MI is definately on my **it list and I won't be doing business with them anymore. As far as I'm concerned what they did was totally ridiculous and dishonest. Some people will do anything for a sale.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Yup

Bobmuley said:
Yes;

I second what bobmuley said,what the hell else could we add to Javi's tuning abilities?

When someone who knows whats wrong tells you how to fix it,LISTEN!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts