Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Shootingairborne
10,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we live in the country. However we have had complanits on or female lab.:sad: So.... I'm looking at Petsafe instant fence wireless.

Does anyone on here use it? Will it work with big labs?:tongue:

Thanks!

·
Registered
343 Posts
if this is the system that uses the collar and just the base unit(no underground wires) my buddy has one on a big hard headed chocolate lab and his definitely works!! dog wont even think of leaving that area.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You bet it works. I had the same problem you have except my dog is a Weimaraner. Got the system and now I can take it with me if someons is watching my dog for a weekend. You can adjust the distance and intensity. Only negative comment is that I find the battery on the collar doesn't last all that long. Not the end of the world when you have the piece of mind that your dog is where he's he should be and SAFE!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Get rid of the dogs.....

It will be cheaper in the long run. Yes I use a contain and train for my Labs, and it worked wonderfully on the older one. The younger one tested it constantly and would lie in the warning zone until the battery died and then she would chase deer. The younger one is now 2 and now stays put mostly, but it was a challenge with her to start. The older one is an awesome waterfowler, the younger one rescued from a puppy farm and a lover. The wire broke after 5 years, and it was easier to lay down a whole 1000 feet, than find the break. I gave up after a couple days of hunting and just put a new wire in. I only have a 1 acre lot, and getting it under the drive is a workout. The dog's temperment has alot to do with your success

Good luck, :darkbeer:

·
Shootingairborne
10,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all!

muddflapp76 said:
if this is the system that uses the collar and just the base unit(no underground wires) my buddy has one on a big hard headed chocolate lab and his definitely works!! dog wont even think of leaving that area.

Yea I've got a hard headed Chocolate Lab! She just doesn't have me trained yet.:ROFLMAO: ! But if I go with this she just might eat all my wife's flowers?:confused: Then you know what!:eek:

Again thanks 2 all.

·
Banned
919 Posts
I was looking into them as well and was told that they work pretty good!! There is a major down fall of them though..... If something else enters your yard your dog is defenseless becuase it won't leave the yard!!!! other things can get in and out but your dog is stuck in the fence!!!!! I just went with a shock collar and watch my dog when he is outside!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
We have one. My wife wanted it and I thought it was a waste of money.

I have a 70 lb aussie/lab mix that likes to run - she is by far the smartest dog I've ever had and is very very protective. I credit this dog for running off a "do-bad" that was hastleing my wife when I was out of town.

The fence does works well. The dog tested it once and now won't go anywhere near the boundry (we left it flagged for about 4-6 months).

It is a nice feeling being able to let your dog out without having to worry about her chasing deer or neighbors that get a little too close to the property line.

BTW - we have about 3 acres wireless fenced and it would have cost a literal fortune to put up any other type of barrier.

·
Shootingairborne
10,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again!

Thanks again to all!:wink:

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I've had the same Radio Fence unit for 13 years now. Never had a problem and I've owned a couple real stuborn dogs. I've even taken the unit from house to house as I've moved, just burried new wire each time.

Best thing ever invented for dogs, IMO.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I've got the Petsafe Instant wireless fence. I have a chocolate lab also, and it works great. The batteries only last a few months so you should by them in bulk. Works great though, just make sure to check the batteries every so often. There are various "stimulation" levels from you can't even feel it all the way up to burnt hair :laser: . :wink:

I think mine is set on level 2 or 3, seriously though, you set it just high enough to make them notice. The nice thing is that with this collar it beeps before it goes off, so your dog knows he is about to get "stimulated". :)

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Meleagris1 said:
I've got the Petsafe Instant wireless fence. I have a chocolate lab also, and it works great. The batteries only last a few months so you should by them in bulk. Works great though, just make sure to check the batteries every so often. There are various "stimulation" levels from you can't even feel it all the way up to burnt hair :laser: . :wink:

I think mine is set on level 2 or 3, seriously though, you set it just high enough to make them notice. The nice thing is that with this collar it beeps before it goes off, so your dog knows he is about to get "stimulated". :)
A smart dog keeps it beeping until it dies, a dumb dog will take the burned hair
to get through. I've have had both. They are better than nothing, just not 100%. Spend the time needed in training will improve success.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
I went the cheaper route and just got the Petsafe trainer with a remote control. It takes more time and work to train them, but it works pretty well after you work with them. It is surprising how smart some dogs are and how they will try to get around it. I've noticed that he knows the difference as to when I am holding a tv remote compared to "his" remote. We hardly have to use it anymore on him after a few months of training.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Cmarti said:
A smart dog keeps it beeping until it dies, a dumb dog will take the burned hair
to get through. I've have had both. They are better than nothing, just not 100%. Spend the time needed in training will improve success.
Actually, my lab is very well trained, I hunt with him all the time. For my real training I do not use any electronic collars. The problem was letting him out to go to do his business. My wife wouldn't watch him and he would wander. This fence was a lot easier than retraining my wife. :) We are lucky we live in the corner of a subdivision, so no traffic to worry about. This fence has been perfect for us. I test the dog occasionally. Every time he hit the boundary and hears that beep, he runs back to the house. I also test the collar and fence once a month.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Meleagris1 said:
Actually, my lab is very well trained, I hunt with him all the time. For my real training I do not use any electronic collars. The problem was letting him out to go to do his business. My wife wouldn't watch him and he would wander. This fence was a lot easier than retraining my wife. :) We are lucky we live in the corner of a subdivision, so no traffic to worry about. This fence has been perfect for us. I test the dog occasionally. Every time he hit the boundary and hears that beep, he runs back to the house. I also test the collar and fence once a month.
I tried to get my wife to test the collar but no luck:eek: Just kidding honey.
My older Lab is an excellent waterfowler and has never tested the fence, even without her collar. The younger one is actually smarter, but gave us fits with the fence, to chase deer. She is an excellent tracker of downed deer, and has made some tough recoveries, but I was afraid she'd be shot
busting deer up. Hopefully, those days are over.:darkbeer:

The more important question with Labs, why do they shed so much frickin hair!:confused:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts