Archery Talk Forum banner

Help with a Big buck pool

3520 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  bucktrout
Help, I need some Recommendations here.

This year I started up a friendly big buck pool with some of my hunting buddies. Nothing Big a handful of guys I know. $20 per person to enter, Winner takes all. Rules are simple. Pay me the entry fee and you are in, Only legally harvested bucks count, Pool ends December 31st at sunset.

Well, Tuesday night me and some of guys are butchering a moose and 2 other guys from a local archery league want to join and one guy wants to sign up a friend, also in the the league. I don't know these guy's, but a few others in the pool do. so I told them that they were not in until they paid their entry fee. Well they don't have the money on them, so they borrowed $20 from from a friend and entered.

So the next day I send out and email updating the list of who is in. well yesterday I receive an Email saying one of the new guys shot a MONSTER on Tuesday. Before entering the Pool.

I made a judgment call that because the buck was shot Before he entered the pool, It can't be counted.

I have never met this guy, I'm pretty sure there is no funny business going on and that the guy who signed him up did not know that his friend had already shot the buck when he entered him in the pool.

What should I do? Like I said this is a friendly little pool.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,099 Posts
he entered the pool after shooting a deer? Then it wouldn't count. But, if his friend signed him up, I vote he gets his money back. I think noone would put you at fault for any wrongdoings.

· Registered
5,351 Posts
he entered the pool after shooting a deer? Then it wouldn't count. But, if his friend signed him up, I vote he gets his money back. I think noone would put you at fault for any wrongdoings.
I would say that deer is not eligable. If he still has tags to use he can still be in. Deer must be shot after joining!...:darkbeer:

· Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here was my ruling. But now a couple of guy's are pissed that I will not count the deer

---------------------------------------

Because xxxx shot the buck BEFORE he entered the pool, it is not Eligible!

A) xxxxx will need to shoot another Buck to be considered
B) If xxxxx (for this particular situation) would like to bail from pool he has 1 week to do so and get his $ back.

That goes for any others (i.e. Kenny), If you want to be in, you need to pay and be on the list before shooting that big buck to have it count.

· Only visiting this planet
4,326 Posts
Here was my ruling. But now a couple of guy's are pissed that I will not count the deer

---------------------------------------

Because xxxx shot the buck BEFORE he entered the pool, it is not Eligible!

A) xxxxx will need to shoot another Buck to be considered
B) If xxxxx (for this particular situation) would like to bail from pool he has 1 week to do so and get his $ back.

That goes for any others (i.e. Kenny), If you want to be in, you need to pay and be on the list before shooting that big buck to have it count.
Don't ya hate that?
No good deed goes unpunished....
I always feel for those guys who volunteer to head up the deer contests and then have to arbitrate squabbles. Sorry man.
You did it right but if want to completely do away with the hassle, give everyone their $ back and say that you decided not to do the contest anymore...

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
I'm gonna go against the grain.

I say accept the money and accept the buck.

BTW, I want in on the pool as well.:wink::wink::wink:

· Registered
5,465 Posts
Hey I will get in your pool but won't pay you until after I shoot my buck, is that OK?

Same difference, no pay no play period! If they don't like it tell them there's the door and don't let it hit you in the rear. We do the same thing and the standing rule is you have to pay first NO exceptions, NO excuses.

· Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Guy's, I wanted to bounce it off, some people outside the group and make sure I was being fair because i've never run one before. I feel so bad for the Guy and his friend who really did nothing wrong. I know how hard it is to harvest a deer like that, but I also want to run a fair pool for everyone. So I guess I'll just suck it up and play the bad guy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.