Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some help with where to begin in the search for the best value on a crossbow for whitetail hunting in Wisconsin.

What would you consider the top 3-4 choices for a solid performing, high value setup - not the most expensive, rather the best value.

So many options to choose from - trying to sort this all out for a beginner is overwhelming.

1. Top 3-4 brands, models

2. Must have accessories

3. Other?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You've set yourself up for a hundred different responses from a hundred different people. We're all going to endorse what we own. I will tell you that my biggest regret is that I didn't purchase a recurve crossbow first. If I had, I may not have spent the money buying a nice compound crossbow. Recurve crossbows are simple, functional, and easy to maintain. Their biggest drawback is the width of the limbs. There are pro's and con's to all crossbows.

If you want a crossbow that you can enjoy and easily understand, I would suggest an Excalibur, Kodabow, or Tenpoint GT flex. If you're hunting whitetail deer, you will kill them with any of those 3.

You can kill a whitetail with an Excalibur Vixen, which is their weakest crossbow.

Get some string wax, Daltons is great. Use it every 25-50 shots. Wax the string and serving (lightly).

Other than that, enjoy the bow and practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Tenpoint, excalibur, wicked ridge, strykforce 350 only not the 380 in that order. Any ten point or excalibur are top notch.

BTW I own none of these I actually own a PSE Sidewinder which i dont think they sell anymore but its killed 6 deer in 3 years but screws are always coming loose and the quality just isnt there.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just bought my first crossbow this year and had the same dilemma. I ended up with a Wicked Ridge Raider CLS and love it. Give Dave at Wyverncreations a call. He will answer all your questions and get you set up. His customer service is great from what I hear and luckily I haven't any experience with that. Great person to talk to and deal with. I ended up with a great deal on my Wicked Ridge. I can tell you that both deer I took with it this year didn't like it at all.

·
WI Crossbow Bowhunter
2,577 Posts
I switched to a crossbow in 2003 because of a shoulder injury and surgery that went awry. My average archery hunting shot on whitetails is (and has always been) about 12 yards. I hunt thick brush & briar almost exclusively.

If you hunt open areas you're going to want a faster crossbow. More maintenance and less reliability than the slower crossbows but that's the price you pay for speed...if you 'really' NEED it.

Oh...and welcome to the darkside!

·
Registered
273 Posts
>Top 3-4 brands<

Here is 5, IIRC by market share, in alphabetical order.

Barnett, Horton, Parker, Ten Point, Excaliber.

Kung Pow, Chung King, or whatever is in there somewhere I'm sure.

·
Incureable tinkerer
4,257 Posts
Excalibur, Parker, Ten Point. Best warranty, customer support available. However, seldom if ever needed for Excalibur: '4x4 of crossbows.'

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
If it were me, and I was shooting at heavy Wisconsin deer, I want the most power I could find, The Ventilator fits that bill with good customer service and loads of power ...
Ten points, Excals higher powers next ...

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
www.wyverncreations.com. check out his web site and then call him. crossbows are his business, he knows more about them than 99% of us. if money is a little tight i'd go with the sz350. if it's not i really like what i hear about the ventilator. i would wait a couple weeks and see what the 2013 bows are like when they are rolled out at the ata show which i believe is on 1-7-13. from what i read on these forums the sz350 is hand's down the best value. go with wyvern's package deal that includes the xb30 as the scope you'll buy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm in the same situation with trying to figure out which crossbow to get, so many choices. I agree you need to talk with Dave at Wyvern Creations, he gave me a lot of info to think about, like, how will you be cocking the bow, hunting conditions, ie blind or stand, budget for purchasing, need to take into acount accessories needed. I was leaning towards the Excalibur until I talked with Dave, for my hunting condition and shoulder injury I started looking at the compound crossbow, a little easier to cock. So now I'm looking at the Parker Tornado F4, heard good things about their customer service and quality. All of them have thier good points and bad points, it all comes down to what feels good to you, go to the local shop and try each one to see how they feel in your hands. Just my $.02 as a newbie to crossbows.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I posted this same suggestion on another guys thread I own an archery shop and when someone is new to the sport I tell them to figure out a price that they are willing to pay and shoot 3-4 brands or models in the price range. Decide which one was the best fit for you 2nd 3rd and so on. Then look at the companies reputation are they easy to deal with if there is a problem. Is there a local shop that sells them so they can service it and help you with any problems down the road. Then you can listen to what the guy behind the counter has to say. People tell me this method is bad for business but in my experience people respect that and even if the bow or crossbow doesn't come from me usually the accessories and service do and they tell their friends too. Because just like the first guy said every one is loyal to a different brand.

·
Registered
8,748 Posts
I'm in the same situation with trying to figure out which crossbow to get, so many choices. I agree you need to talk with Dave at Wyvern Creations, he gave me a lot of info to think about, like, how will you be cocking the bow, hunting conditions, ie blind or stand, budget for purchasing, need to take into acount accessories needed. I was leaning towards the Excalibur until I talked with Dave, for my hunting condition and shoulder injury I started looking at the compound crossbow, a little easier to cock. So now I'm looking at the Parker Tornado F4, heard good things about their customer service and quality. All of them have thier good points and bad points, it all comes down to what feels good to you, go to the local shop and try each one to see how they feel in your hands. Just my $.02 as a newbie to crossbows.
I went with a Parker after talking to David for my first crossbow. It is a 175 lb model. Later I purchased a Excal Vortex which is a 200 lb. bow. I was cocking both using the Excal rope cockers and could not really tell any difference between cocking them. And that was while I was waiting to have surgery done on my right rotator cuff. Do not rule out a recurve type crossbow cause someone says they are harded to cock till you try it out for yourself.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I did some research on the Internet & then went to the shop & shot several different brands. The Excalibur Axiom is what I went home with. It's simple, accurate, easy to work on & swapping out strings is a breeze out in the field, best warranty in the industry & top notch customer service. Nothing but Excal's will be owned by myself & my family.

Sent from "dumb redneck" using "smartphone";)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went with a Parker after talking to David for my first crossbow. It is a 175 lb model. Later I purchased a Excal Vortex which is a 200 lb. bow. I was cocking both using the Excal rope cockers and could not really tell any difference between cocking them. And that was while I was waiting to have surgery done on my right rotator cuff. Do not rule out a recurve type crossbow cause someone says they are harded to cock till you try it out for yourself.
Robert, thanks for the input on the ease of cocking the recurve, will need to try one and see how it goes, not in a hurry to purchase, trying to get as much knowledge as possible. Haven't bow hunted in years, pulled out the old compound and had a time drawing the 70lb draw, that's what got me looking at a crossbow with arty playing havoc with my shoulder and neck.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Robert, thanks for the input on the ease of cocking the recurve, will need to try one and see how it goes, not in a hurry to purchase, trying to get as much knowledge as possible. Haven't bow hunted in years, pulled out the old compound and had a time drawing the 70lb draw, that's what got me looking at a crossbow with arty playing havoc with my shoulder and neck.
Robert must a pretty strong feller. I can tell a difference in cocking a 200 pound recurve versus a 185 compound. The compound is easier as it does break over at the tough point.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Excalibur, they have at least half dz. models & 3 new one's comin out in 2013. Ease of use Dependable comfortable, tuff. They maynot be the fastest made but i have killed dump truck loads of tick toters thru the yrs usin them!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts