Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Ryan and I study D&T - Product Design and my local Sixth Form centre. (further education) The aim of this post is for anyone to help by giving feedback. More will be explained, but any views or opinions are appreciated!

Part of this course involves redesigning a product in which you think needs improving in some way, as there is perhaps a fault, or just something that you don't like about it, such as an annoying feature. For my redesign, I chose the basic Cartel stick on rests, as you can see, pictured here.

My aim for redesigning this product was to make a rest that stayed on much better, and doesn't wear out so easily. After going through several steps of development, I have my final idea modelled out on Pro-Desktop, which is a software, similar to Google Sketchup in which you can make models of products, to see how they might look when made in real life.

I am now at the testing stage of my development and I have decided to run a subjective test on my idea. I have decided to do this in the form of asking fellow archers, like yourselves to give feedback on my design.

For this, redesign, I took a lot of inspiration from the Whisker Arrow Rest, and decided that my rest can be based off the same idea. A picture of the Whisker rest is here. Product

Now for the redesign. The rest works exactly the same as a whisker rest, but instead of a brush which the arrow passes through, I have decided that spring steel would be a good idea because it will bend out of the way when the flights of the arrow pass through, whilst still holding well enough to hold the arrow in place before shooting.

The rest features a way of aligning the resting part with the centre serving on the string, which has also taken inspiration form the whisker rest in that the long part can move, and the screws can be tightened to hold it in the correct position. I have included 3 images of the model which I have made on Pro Desktop. Thank you for reading and for any feedback you provide, for I will be very grateful.

Please note that I plan to include the feedback in my project, so if you do not want to be acknowledged, please let me know.
Thanks again!

Purple Violet Product Clock Wheel
Purple Product Cylinder
Purple Clip art

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Cool project your cad design look great (I'm a machinest so I appreciate this kinda stuff) but I'm 99% sure there is a product almost exactly like what u have designed. I couldn't tell u the name of the company or anything but I'm almost positive Ive seen ads for smtg looking super similar to what u got there. Anyway this probly isn't much help in the feedback department but figured I'd throw my 2cents at Ya. Keep it up man from your designs pictured u look like u got some talent! Good luck with it I hope it works out for u...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it not the Whisker rest, which I have taken the inspiration from? or something else?

Also, thank you for the reply.

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
i like it a lot and think you are very talented . would you need one for every arrow size or would it ''adapt'' to varying arrow diameters . if it was to be a ''redesign'' i have to say i don't see any correlation between the cartel you started with and your design which i think is far superior to the cartel . i give you an A+ grade , sir . . . peace

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
I'd only add that it could be adjusted for different diameter arrows and must be able to have fletching clearance for different configurations and fletching height. Nice job and stick with it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's very much for the feedback, arrow diameter isn't something which I have had in mind so far, so that will be something worth considering for sure as it is rather important.

·
YouThinkIcan't?!WatchMe
7,193 Posts
Spring steel will scratch the arrows. Use some kind of rubber or other plastic material. Not steel. Also how would you fit the sliding parts together? I think those will be separate parts and then put together using some kind of screw? The round piece won't pass thru the slot.

·
Banned
1,299 Posts
in stead of the spring steal pins 3- 5 small tightly coiled springs threaded in the collar that can be screwed in would work on any arrow dia , the whole thing can be made on a 3-d printer

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
3d printing was the original plan, but it's good to see some feedback supporting that idea. As for the spring steel, I see where you are coming from, definitely something to look in to. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I agree, I don't think the steel pins are a good idea. Also, there is no elevation adjustment, unless you just tilt the piece holding the arrow down or up. It's going to be hard to adjust because when you loosen the bolt to adjust windage, your elevation adjustment setting is lost. Need separate adjustments.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
How about a setup with basically 3 plunger buttons to replace the bristles. Hole diameter and individual tension could be independently adjusted. Have the bottom ones contact point be kind of dished out to sort of cradle the arrow.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The cock vane of an arrow will hit your top pin that is hanging down

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My project needs to be in by the end of next week, therefore I will bump this one last time, in the hopes of a few more responses for my feedback section, sorry for any inconvenience.

Thanks.

·
Big Damn Arrow Slinger
3,030 Posts
there's already a couple of improved recurve rests on the market. made by cartel as well
but a whisker buiscuit type rest will not work on a recurve.

there's a rest similar to the one you constructed for compound, the aerorest.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts