Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day yall. I'm still fairly new to archery, 3rd year in. My first bow was a bear Cruzer and though I harvested 5 deer with it in two years I was ready for an upgrade. Enter the triax which I love. I think it's time for some new arrows as I've been shooting a mix. I think I like the easton axis either 5 or 6mm. The bow is 60lb max and with my digital scale it seems right on, maybe 61 lbs. 28.5" draw. I'm using a whisker biscuit and don't really want to change that yet. Can someone help determine what would be the proper spine? My current arrows are 27.5" carbon to carbon and I currently own 100 grain field tips and broadheads. Thanks for any help!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
800 Posts
You could probably use 400 spine, but you would do better with the 340 with 50 grain brass insert and 100 grain head. Will boost your foc, gett better flight, better groups and more penetration.. I would personally use that build with your specs. You'd be right at around 500 grain finished arrow with good speed and momentum and hunting would be no trouble at all.

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
What poundage did you shoot the Cruser on ? What arrows were you using? I would start by testing your old arrows and see what they do. Do you want to stay with a 27.5" arrow (it's shaft length not draw length that determines spine) I would go with the 6MM because you don't have to go with half out inserts or deep six, bowshootin 70 gave you some solid advice. I'm really liking my Easton Hexx with the brass inserts. Try the 330 spine and leave them a 2 inches long, try the 75 grain inserts (with hot melt in case you need to break them off at 50g) with your 100g broad heads. This will get those broad heads out in front of your fingers and give you some wiggle room for tuning.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I was shooting about 60lbs also on the cruzer. Im flexible on arrow length, that's just what mine were cut at the shop when I bought them. So I think my current arrow is about 350 grains... Am I going to have significant drop with a 500 grain arrow now? I like the benefits of a heavier arrow, but I don't have a rangefinder and have to "guesstimate" distance based on a few known points, so I like that currently I have a decent margin for error.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went through several arrows that were all basically the same specs, cabelas, then beman ICS, and now victory decimator. I shoot a lot and broke many arrows, nocks and vanes. Now I want to get into fletching also so I can fix them on my own.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
your triax and my ally are pretty close, im at 29/63 335ibo and you are 28.5/60 343ibo. i use a 340 spine 27" arrow, 100gr brass and 100gr head. i use gold tip xt hunters and victory vforce, arrows finish at 475gr. the axis will be a little heavier finished, closer to 500gr. thats a great arrow for that bow. the 100gr brass gives a really nice FoC for penetration and in flight stability.

at 500ish grains, your trajectory will still be pretty good. no worries there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would go with the 6MM because you don't have to go with half out inserts or deep six, bowshootin 70 gave you some solid advice. I'm really liking my Easton Hexx with the brass inserts. Try the 330 spine and leave them a 2 inches long, try the 75 grain inserts (with hot melt in case you need to break them off at 50g) with your 100g broad heads. This will get those broad heads out in front of your fingers and give you some wiggle room for tuning.
Potter greg, can you help me understand the difference in the inserts in the 5mm and 6mm? It looks like 5mm have HIT inserts, which I did some research on and there are pros and cons it seems. I've never given inserts the slightest thought so this is new to me. Thank you all

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
5 MM is .204" inside diameter. All the arrow manufacturers make then now. Black Eagle calls them Rampage, Victory calls them RIP, etc. The Easton Hitt inserts slip totally inside the shaft and you are supposed to use their epoxy and you cannot get them back out. I prefer to use hot melt so I can remove/change inserts to experiment with my arrows dynamic spine. The black eagle stainless inserts are pretty good at 56 grains, Ethics Archery makes a bunch of inserts in different weights for all arrows and has a listing of what fits what, check out their website.
What broad heads do you have now?
You are right on the 400/350 fence right without insert weight now if you cut your arrows short, so go up to the 350/340/330 spine for sure.
The 6mm Easton brass insert is a nice insert, you can leave it 75 grains or break it off to 50 when tuning (if you use hot melt) you need some weight and the stronger shafts with those 100g broad heads to get your arrow up to a hunting weight.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What broad heads do you have now?

I have slick tricks standard, and ramcats. I've actually only shot a deer once with slick tricks and didnt recover. I think it was very low, so I'm not blaming the BH at all, I've just killed every deer with ramcats thus far. I'm still not completely sold on the thin shafts either, I see unfletched cabelas stalker extreme shafts for $60/dozen and that's tempting. I really liked those before I damaged them all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts