Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am getting ready to order some ASAT from a member on here and would like some of you opinions on what I should go with.

Basically I cant decide whether to spring for the 3-D suit or just stick with the cotton pants on long sleeve T-Shirts.

You see 9 times out of 10 I am hunting out of a pine tree with virtually no back cover. No leaves, no limbs from another tree, virtaully nothing.

So my question is, is the 3-D suit all that necessary in my case? I know that it is more versatile, more diverse, etc.

But do you feel that I can just get away with the normal ASAT pattern?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,376 Posts
BradMc26 said:
Hello,
I am getting ready to order some ASAT from a member on here and would like some of you opinions on what I should go with.

Basically I cant decide whether to spring for the 3-D suit or just stick with the cotton pants on long sleeve T-Shirts.

You see 9 times out of 10 I am hunting out of a pine tree with virtually no back cover. No leaves, no limbs from another tree, virtaully nothing.

So my question is, is the 3-D suit all that necessary in my case? I know that it is more versatile, more diverse, etc.

But do you feel that I can just get away with the normal ASAT pattern?
In my opinion, the regular bowhunter jacket and pants combination work the best.

I think the 3D leafy suit seems to take away a little of the pattern. The more distinct lines and intersections of the regular clothing seems to do a better job of breaking up a human outline. This I am judging partly from the web site photos.

Now, that is just my opinion. I own the regular jacket and pants, not the 3D leafy suit. If I actually had one in front of me I may change my mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know I was kind of thinking the same thing.

The only advantage that I see to the leafy system is the movement.

What I really wanted was a leafy jacket and cotton bottoms. But ASAT only offers the 3-D as a complete set and not in pieces :sad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,863 Posts
Saved me asking

Thanks for the post. I was wondering the same thing. I dont think I will get the 3d set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
735 Posts
3-D Suit, remember it is a game animals eyes you are fooling, you can use the leafy suit all year long, I believe asat believes it is their best offering and the majority of asat users think so as well. This will be my first season with mine but so far I love wearing it while I am shooting my bow (makes me think I am invicisble).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,685 Posts
You see 9 times out of 10 I am hunting out of a pine tree with virtually no back cover. No leaves, no limbs from another tree, virtaully nothing.
without any cover your probabely goin to get spotted at least, you'll have to go high in the tree and hope you don't spook em..

I find if I move fast I will more than likely get spotted, if I move slow odds are better that I won't get spotted. Camo pattern doesn't really have all that much to do with it. The amount of motion does...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,019 Posts
I would suggest the 3d suit. I think it does a great job of covering the entire body (the hood design that fits over a brimmed hat is excellent). It packs well. Wears well. Does it all.

The suit is 3 pieces - if you felt the need, why couldn't you mix and match the pieces?

For my money and my hunting needs, the 3d suit was the best choice.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,403 Posts
The 3D suit was the way to go for me. I have been very happy with it. Super light for hot weather, and easy to layer with in cold weather. Great for turkey and deer. I wasn't really big on the 3D stuff until I saw a few pics of the ASAT in the field. The 3D leaves really help break up your outline in the tree. I would recommend the 3D suit 100%.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,863 Posts
Alright already

I just bought my 3d suit. It hasnt arrived yet, but I will be happy I am sure! Thanks for your help even though this wasnt my thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
I have to second Meleagras post. I chose the 3-d suit because of it's versatility. Wear what ever you need and already have underneath to match the weather.

This September elk hunt here in NM I'll probably wear shorts and T-shirt underneath to keep things cool. Not to mention I can wear one suit the entire week, as it can be rinsed/wased out at camp every night and be dry in an hour or two. Don't have to buy 3-4 cammo shirts and 3-4 cammo pants for a week+ long hunt. Thant alone probably pays for itself, if not cheaper. Works for me!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,656 Posts
The 3D suit is all I use. In my opinion it helps me get away with a lot more movement. If you check out my website you can see the tree my stand is in. It's a big ol' pine with virtually no cover. I have does and fawns around my stand like crazy and am able to get away with a ton of movement. Played around with it last year when that was all that was around. Septembers are still pretty warm here and I love the fact that I can wear shorts and a tshirt and be more comfortable in my stand. Come December I can wear my bibs and parka underneath. If you want true versatility the leafy suit is the only way to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
589 Posts
I just recieved the 3D leafy suit and I think It was a wise choice on my part.
That suit in amazing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,311 Posts
I agree with the 3d-suit-only-users all the way.
Owning the leafy AND plain camo stuff, I made some test photos and posted them here a year ago or so.
The 3d-suit works better imo. The appearance is more fuzzy which allows an almost perfect blending-in together with the basic pattern.

I like to wear the field shirt and the BDU pants while practicing spotting in the woods. Very comfortable and good quality stuff.

Hunting with the plain stuff I only consider while stalking through the thorny acacia bushes and trees in Africa. The leafy stuff will catch easier some thorns.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,729 Posts
Alright, you guys almost have me talked into getting one of these 3d suits. I actually used ASAT about 10 years ago, but have been experimenting with several other camos since. Anyways, my old ASAT suit is a little tight on me now, and I think it's time to try the ASAT again. I know the size question has been thrown around a lot, but would a size Large 3d suit be big enough for a stocky guy about 5' 10", 210 lbs, and also be able to layer for colder weather? I hate to order my hunting clothes without being able to try them on, but don't really have a choice this time...steer me toward the right size guys. :thumbs_up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
SpoBow,

Did they lengthen the leg zippers on the 3D leafy suit from their older version?? Your web site said 22" leg zippers. I purchased an ASAT 3D leafy suit over a year ago, and sent it back because I didn't like the leg zippers. (They did not unzip up the sides far enough to suit my needs.) 22 inches up the side of my leg seems like it would come up much higher than the suit I returned. Would you let me know if this is new or the same as before? Thanks...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,656 Posts
MWP_N_Cookevill said:
SpoBow,

Did they lengthen the leg zippers on the 3D leafy suit from their older version?? Your web site said 22" leg zippers. I purchased an ASAT 3D leafy suit over a year ago, and sent it back because I didn't like the leg zippers. (They did not unzip up the sides far enough to suit my needs.) 22 inches up the side of my leg seems like it would come up much higher than the suit I returned. Would you let me know if this is new or the same as before? Thanks...

They're 22 inch zippers still and even wearing my bibs and Sorels I was able to slide in and out of the pants like butter. No kidding, I could get in and out of my suit in seconds. As a sidenote I'm a big guy 6'5", 300lbs+, size 16 shoe. I've had zero issues with the leg zippers, I love 'em.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,656 Posts
Ack said:
Alright, you guys almost have me talked into getting one of these 3d suits. I actually used ASAT about 10 years ago, but have been experimenting with several other camos since. Anyways, my old ASAT suit is a little tight on me now, and I think it's time to try the ASAT again. I know the size question has been thrown around a lot, but would a size Large 3d suit be big enough for a stocky guy about 5' 10", 210 lbs, and also be able to layer for colder weather? I hate to order my hunting clothes without being able to try them on, but don't really have a choice this time...steer me toward the right size guys. :thumbs_up
I really suggest ordering the size you normally wear because the suit is cut very generously in order to allow the wearing of winter gear underneath it. So if you normally wear xlarge, order xlarge and so on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
639 Posts
I went with the 3d suit and i like it.. With it bieng mesh it will be cooler for warm days and when it gets cold you can put it over your heavy gear..


I had the same questions about the size.. Im 6'1 so was concernd about length.I normally wear a xl tall. So i went with the xl and glad i did cause if i would have went bigger i could see it hanging off of me.. :D But the xl fits perfect!!
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top