Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been shooting as good a groups as I see when the shot breaks lately and tried the bare shaft test this evening.

First let me say that I shoot a R/H 2002 UltraTec, CC+ with TT rest, at 47#, 29"AMO(measured) D/L and Carbon Express 100's w/100gr points, 27" long with Magnocks. AA puts them dead in the center of the green.

Walkback(what I have used for years) gives a perfectly straight vertical line with the current setup and creeptune is dead on at 40 yd.

Current setup has the rest inside center and this is one of those bows that the sight is between the shaft center and the riser
( first one for me)

NOW, at 20 yds the bare shaft hits 6" rt(weak) of the fletched with the 100's...then I tried some 200's @28.5" with the same points and got the same..6"rt(AA shows the 200's to be upper end of the yellow on the stiff side).

I moved the rest 1/8" left and 1/8" right and got no change in displacement of bare shaft from fletched...6"rt

IDEAS anyone...please

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,420 Posts
I would bring the rest out in small increments until the bare shaft and fletched hit the same... or I find out they won't. Just a guess.

Also, is it possible you are torquing the riser a bit? At 20 yards you need to make a real good shot to get a bare shaft flying straight. I usually limit my bare shaft testing to 10-15 yards.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Shoot the bare shaft thru paper and tune to bullet hole

then try fletched arrow... If everthing is clear you will get a bullet hole with the fletched arrow also.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EPLC
I won't say I am not torquing the riser, but I get no movement of it when I shoot (bow just sits in the hand), like I do when I intentionally induce torque.

I will try moving the rest more when I shoot again on Thur.

JAVELINA

I may have to give that a try, but honestly I have never found a good paper tune to be that forgiving.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I'm not suggesting it is the final word.... Just that if you tune the bare shaft thru paper, then shoot a fletched arrow thru the paper it can tell you a lot about your setup. I start with this and then walk back to 60 yrds.
I'm only hunting with my setup but I am constantly ruining arrows shooting 3 arrow groups at 60 yards when I tune this way.
Give it a try you got nothing to lose but time, and you migh gain something.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went out and shot again last night and even torquing the riser HARD could not get the bare shafts to come to the fletched, they stayed to the right. Lesson learned, I guess. However, the bare shaft did show that my nock point was slightly high and after fixing this my groups did tighten up noticeably after going back to my original rest position.

Thanks to all who replied.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts