Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Shootingairborne
10,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BEAR HUNTERS!!!! I need your expert help! I live in Virginia! Baiting is illegal here.

Here is my situation. I live on top of a ridge. 1/4 mile bellow me a friend has given me permision to hunt his land. There is a massive river as well 200 yards from the draw I can hunt. He has pictures from last year of a huge bear going by a clover field he planted for deer. Others have reported seeing bear or getting PIC's with trail cameras up to 5 or 6 miles down the river. But they used oats and molasses to lure the bear in. About a 400LBS boar they guess? I wonder is it the same bear?

Va has Archery Bear season October 14- Nov 11. The county I hunt is so low with bear it doen't allow gun season.

So no baiting, but I can use scents. How would you recommed the hunt, scents set up how often? Please help me get up close and personel with the local black bear. I am limited on the places I can hunt here. Small tracks of land. We have had rain in the past couple of weeks, and acorns are droping. Looking for that little extra to pull a black bear in to bow range.

Thanks
Airborne All the Way!!!:wink:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Is a honey burn OK? If so, sweet tooth from james valley is great stuff. Otherwise, a berry scent would probably be my first choice. Good luck! It's tough without bait.

·
Registered
15 Posts
4 things that bear in an area that I hunt go crazy for. Apples,molasses,honey and glazed donuts

You don't need to set a bait pile up... I would just get some molasses, pure honey and apple cider(not apple juice) dip a bunch of those scent wick things in the jars and place them in an an area that you will be able to hunt over.. Do not bring the jars out there with you. I would also set up and take down the scent wicks only when I was hunting. If you leave them out there they might not have the same effect when the bear knows it can't get them or won't feed him.

If you are crazy enough, smear the hell out of your pack with glazed donuts and jelly before every hunt. I would just make sure you didn't fall asleep on stand, you might have company when you wake up.

You could also try those acorn cover scent things too... the more scents you put out the better you will interest him...You might also try a cub distress call. If it's a she, it might be curious enough to come in and look.small area hunts without bait for bear is a tough one...best of luck

Sam

·
Shootingairborne
10,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

So Honey Bun? Other scents? I'll take them out with me.

Anyone else?

Thanks!

S

·
0 Posts
Team Fitzgerald VK burned on a Thermacell
Berry Scent sticks

And this might seem like a hassle, but get yourself a thing or propane for a lantern or small camp grill and a little burner attachment, a small thin frying pan and fry bacon right before you get on stand, you can eat the bacon and throw the grease up in some trees to spread the scent.

·
Shootingairborne
10,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A million thanks.

A million thanks!

Would you use the scents prior to hunting in there? Just to get them coming around?:confused:

And if I happend to hunt all day and carry donuts for lunch and drop some, thats not baiting:slice: :ROFLMAO: ? Just kidding!:tongue: Well?:embara:

Thanks again!:wink:
Samuri said:
4 things that bear in an area that I hunt go crazy for. Apples,molasses,honey and glazed donuts

You don't need to set a bait pile up... I would just get some molasses, pure honey and apple cider(not apple juice) dip a bunch of those scent wick things in the jars and place them in an an area that you will be able to hunt over.. Do not bring the jars out there with you. I would also set up and take down the scent wicks only when I was hunting. If you leave them out there they might not have the same effect when the bear knows it can't get them or won't feed him.

If you are crazy enough, smear the hell out of your pack with glazed donuts and jelly before every hunt. I would just make sure you didn't fall asleep on stand, you might have company when you wake up.

You could also try those acorn cover scent things too... the more scents you put out the better you will interest him...You might also try a cub distress call. If it's a she, it might be curious enough to come in and look.small area hunts without bait for bear is a tough one...best of luck

Sam

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
bear scents

bear scent llc out of wis. he has great scents. we use bear paw by his instuctions and makes bear come to baits fast. other wise i think the sticks from deer scents for bear are very portable and easy to use.

good luck

·
Registered
173 Posts
I forgot to mention it before, but I agree with Samuri, take your scent pads back in with you at night. If the bears learn there's no bait they are less likely to follow the scent in. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Shootingairborne
10,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks ALL!

In Oct what is the best time to hunt the black bears? Morning or late, or all day?

This is my first year hunting them.

Thanks.:wink:

·
Registered
43 Posts
We use anise or raspberry scents from bearscents here in Maine. They really like the anise. The scent balls that bearscents have are really awesome. I wouldnt worry about taking your scent out with you at nite. You want the bear to come to the area your at. I would hunt where they have some kind of food to eat as they will be eating all day at this time of the year. I got mine yesterday here in Maine and have all kinds of trail cam pics from all hours of day during the last two weeks. We have two at one bait that are coming from 1100 to 1400 every day the last couple of weeks. Good luck and have fun.

·
Shootingairborne
10,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome!

THANKS!:wink:

MaineBowhntr said:
We use anise or raspberry scents from bearscents here in Maine. They really like the anise. The scent balls that bearscents have are really awesome. I wouldnt worry about taking your scent out with you at nite. You want the bear to come to the area your at. I would hunt where they have some kind of food to eat as they will be eating all day at this time of the year. I got mine yesterday here in Maine and have all kinds of trail cam pics from all hours of day during the last two weeks. We have two at one bait that are coming from 1100 to 1400 every day the last couple of weeks. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I'm in the same shape as you!!!! I live in the most rediculous state there is,VA!!!
I was feeding deer in Aug. and started getting more bear pictures on my game camera than deer!!!!
I have figured out that the smellier the bait is, the more times a bear will come in!!!!!
With that being said, I'm going to be putting some strong scents out, like vanilla extract!!!!
This is how I'm going to do it. We still got a month before the season opens, so once every week I'm going to take a bottle of vanilla extract and pour it over the area where I was recently feeding the deer (bears:zip: )
I just want him to stay in the area!!!!
Then when the season opens, I'm going to put the scent out every day that I hunt him!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We'll see if it works!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorta hard to do things here in the good ol state of Va!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Shootingairborne
10,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Many thanks!

This is my first year huntin' the balck bear! I'll let you know what happens with me here in VA!

Thanks to all. Anyone else?:wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts