Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently joined a sportmans club that has several archery courses to walk. Many of the targets have distances that range from 40 out to 80 yards. i never cared to shoot over 40 yards before (at my house) but now i am finding it fun to shoot the farther targets. my problem is that i have my sight adjusted down as far as it can go and i have the bottom pin as low as it will go but i am still 4-5 inches under the bullseye on a 50 yrd target. Can someone tell me what i am doing wrong with my bow set up that is not allowing me to shoot the farther targets.

i am shooting at 65 lbs so that isnt the issue because my wife's bow (with the same sight) i can adj to hit the 50 and she is only pulling 35lbs

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
It could be a few different things. Do you have a really high anchor point? Are you shooting really heavy arrows? It could also be in the bow tune. How does it shoot through paper?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
633 Posts
You got the same problem I got only mines the opposite. I got my sight as high as it can go and the top pin at the top for a 10/20 yd bullseye. But I did get it thank god. Tim is right on track. The main thing I would check is if you can change your anchor point to compensate. In my case I was as low as I could go but in your case you could probably raise it a bit. Other option may be to buy a different sight? I considered this myself. Check out my sight...see how high it is.

IMG_4986.JPG

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
anchor as has allready been said
could also be peep height

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
shouldnt my anchor point (my nose) just be natural against the string and then my peep would be where it is when i open my eyes??

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
without seeing you draw and anchor it is tough to tell
I put my jaw bone between my first two knuckles (fore and middle finger) with a handheld release
some guys like to anchor behind the ear and typicaly run into issues like this

·
Registered
842 Posts
It looks like that bow only has one set of sight mounting holes. If thats correct, and you anchor point is rite. Then to me, its the sight, not having enough adjustment. Alot of bows have multiple mounting holes so you can lower or raise your site. If yours doesnt, and you wanna shoot the further distances, your gonna need to get a sight with more adjustability.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes, it only has one set of holes. I've never used a kisser button, but my wife does. i noticed that i have a very low lip anchor point and if i put on a kisser button that will make me adjust everything "up", then it should give me some more room...i think...i will try that and see. buying another sight is not really what i want to have to do just yet.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
It appears that your nocking point is high from the picture. I can't tell from the picture but your sight may have more than one set of mounting holes. If it does, move it in as far as it will come.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Whoa:
Hang on a minute. I have the same site on one of my bows. I believe you can reverse the mount so that it bends down. Flip the sight mount then flip the sight barrel. There are holders for the fibre optics on both sides. Now that the barrel is lower you can raise the pins and get some room in the barrel for the 50 yd pin.
This is easier to do than messin' with your anchor point.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I believe you can reverse the mount so that it bends down. Flip the sight mount then flip the sight barrel. There are holders for the fibre optics on both sides. Now that the barrel is lower you can raise the pins and get some room in the barrel for the 50 yd pin.

ding ding ding

Only 3 things cause this.
1. way high nock tune,
2. low peep/ high anchor. (same thing)
3. Sight mount location.

In this case, Windrover hit it on the head. Flip your sight bracket.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Right on. I wish mine was reversible. And yes my nose touches the string.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
It's a pain but move your sight back up in the middle, move all your pins to the top and start over sighting in. I have had it happen and thats how I got it worked out.

·
Registered
613 Posts
is your bow tuned could use a lower arrow nocking to get out to 80+ doesnt take much or lower arrow weight

·
Comp Target/ Gear mod
5,858 Posts
If you couldn't flip the mount for the scope, AND your bow was in tune (I prefer to broad head test instead of paper....personal preference) you could always go to a lighter tip, and a lighter spine arrow to match (and even a lighter GPi arrow)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone. I was already out this afternoon and adjusted my anchor points...bit of a pain, but it is done. I probably should have been using a kisser button all along and just never did...so i added that and moved my peep up. This will probably give me enough room for 50 yrds. I still think i will flip the sight too. i see how this is made to be reversable and it would give me another 3/4 inch of adjustments i think. i may be able to add some pins to shoot the 60 and 70 yrd targets...SWEET!!!! You guys are always a great help to me. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Thanks everyone. I was already out this afternoon and adjusted my anchor points...bit of a pain, but it is done. I probably should have been using a kisser button all along and just never did...so i added that and moved my peep up. This will probably give me enough room for 50 yrds. I still think i will flip the sight too. i see how this is made to be reversable and it would give me another 3/4 inch of adjustments i think. i may be able to add some pins to shoot the 60 and 70 yrd targets...SWEET!!!! You guys are always a great help to me. Thank you so much!
You know what? I went out myself this afternoon and tweaked some things. I moved my peep down and raised my anchor point and was able to move my sight down CONSIDERABLY. Anyways this is all something I knew some time ago i should do but until this thread showed up I had been "living" with it. So hey dude, thanks for motivating me...:wink:

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
In your pic it looks as though the main body of the sight can be flipped so it holds the sight head lower. If you need more than that you need to lower your anchor and raise the peep.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts