Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to try and fletch my own arrows. I was wandering what jigs every one uses. which ones you have tried and do not like. I don't want to spend 200-300 for a jig. I have looked at several online but do not know anything about them.
Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought an AAE FLETCH III FLETCHING jig from Lancaster Archery online. I first heard about it from the John Dudley Podcast and I love it so far. I’m a beginner too but this one is super user friendly and affordable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm interested in doing 3 and 4 fletchings straight and helical. also I found an older bitzenberger for sale. I tried to compare it to the new ones and can only find one difference that I can see and it is the knobs. If I buy this one will it do everything a new one will.
Tool

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
yes the bitz you have pictured will probably do everything you will need altho i'm not sure about the 4 fletch. ive seen people in pictures that have 4 fletch but I don't know a single soul who does 4 fletch. the bitz you have in the pic looks just like mine I bought over 20 yrs ago and compared to some mine is only middle aged.

·
Just thwackin' it.
7,462 Posts
I've tried several and keep coming back to my Bitz. Sure, it's slower fletching one vane/feather at a time, but it has options for left or right helical or offset if you got all 3 clamps (I usually just do offsets with the straight clamp) and the options for 3 and 4 fletch as well as vane/feather distance from nock spacing make it do pretty much everything you need. I had a few EZ Fletch jigs, while they are fast, the lack of options kinda ruined it for me.

·
Back Yard Champion
34,858 Posts
Yes, the old Bitz would do, just don't give a bunch for it. You can find instructions so to fletch 3 or 4 vanes. New ones are $90 + shipping in Lancaster catalog.
The Grayling will do 3 and 4 vanes, has straight and left and right helical clamps - comes with choice and then $12 for extra one. Lancaster catalog, is $33 + shipping.

Being honest, I've bought used Bitzs for $25.00

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Get the Bitz, I am still using one like you have posted, used it for over 40 years

·
Registered
71 Posts
I never fletched arrows before. I wanted to get into it.
I bought this
https://www.amazon.com/MS-JUMPPER-A...&keywords=fletching+jig&qid=1580136004&sr=8-2

I stripped my dozen I had and redid them and it was a breeze. I had no problems with the jig. it worked perfectly. My only issue I had was I had to redo a vane cause I wasnt paying attention and didnt line it up properly before I pressed it on. it comes with a straight ahd left helical

·
Back Yard Champion
34,858 Posts
Well Bitzies will take a lickin and keep on ticking, no plastic stuff to break or dissolve when you try to get glue off-- I have a 30 yr ol Bitz that is still fletching just fine....
Well, Bitz is made well, but I've a Grayling that still works like new - has to be older than the hills. I've a multi Jo-Jan that was old way back in the 1980s and I still fletch with and no issues.

Most all problems with fletching is Operator Error............

·
Banned
1,903 Posts
Well, Bitz is made well, but I've a Grayling that still works like new - has to be older than the hills. I've a multi Jo-Jan that was old way back in the 1980s and I still fletch with and no issues.

Most all problems with fletching is Operator Error............
older than dirt jo jan multi here too, it was in a local shop here where I spent all my money, when the owner retired and shut down I offered to buy it and he gave it to me

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
i am using the bohning multi fletch that came out with good success. i do feel like over time you will have to replace the clamps and inserts but for the first 12 dozen or so arrows it has worked great.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Bitzenburger is hard to beat. Great customer service, set offsets how you want with different clamps. Some people complain about consistency with them, I haven’t really had that issue. For the money they’re hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.