Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been interested in hunting for a long long time but since none of my parents or immediate siblings hunted I never got the chance to hunt until i was 20. On my second deer hunt ever I bagged a spike with a rifle and am ready to try bowhunting. I plan to get a bow around xmas and practice and plan to be ready for the opener this time next year. I have been a lurker her off and on for the past few years. I read about 5 fourums daily as well as mang magazines so im not your average beginner. Like ive said i have been into hunting for 8 years just never had an oppurtunity to experience it until last year.

What books do you guys reccomend to help get me started in archery? I have never shot a bow before and would like to get any advantage i have. Plus i would rather read a book on archery than any of my college text books! Plus i can learn tons from this site as well.

·
Registered
302 Posts
hey welcome to bowhunting. i must warn you that it gets additive like crack!!!!!!!! specially if you have never spent time in the woods around the rut!!!! first you want to go to your local bow shop and get your self a nice bow and have them help you with your form and the basics of shooting a bow!!!!!!! then take what you learn and practice ,practice so that bow feels like part of your hand!!!!!!! far as next years hunting season you can read as much as you want to but the real learning is once your in the stand. learning to be still enough to get these deer in BOW RANGE 20 to 30 yards!!!!!!!!!! theres people that say shoot farther but you will drag more deer out if you can get them around 20 yards!!!!!!!!!! also you will most likly have to spend more time in the woods then you mite have used to gun hunting!!(good thing)i could really right a book on this subject we both dont have that much time!!! No matter what you do just be safe and good luck!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Welcome to AT.

Some of the other users will chime in with book recommendations.

As mentioned by "maryland bowmen", if you can find a good pro shop, that would be a very good start. Unless you already know of a good pro shop, you might check with some of your archery friends or try out a couple of different pro shops. You could also post somethign in the General Archery section here on AT and ask for pro shop recommendations in your area. Some pro shops are much more patient and willing to work with new archers than others.

Once you get ready to visit the shop and test out some equipment, pick a slower time of the year or week. This will give the owner more time to work with. January - March are typically slower times because hunting season is over and/or winding down.

Finally, like you said visit this site frequently. There's a lot of good information and knowledgeable people on here.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
B U M P

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
where are you from/ where do you live? I have a few extra treestands set up, no promises about big bucks but I'd get you w/in 25yds. On public land in MB.:darkbeer: And if your ready by spring I was planning a bear hunt.
You must have more time on here than me....... I didn't know what B U M P meant until just now and have seen it a couple times.
Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I like the magazines. Bowhunter...Bow and Arrow and Bowhunting. I subscribe to all 3. Some of it is contradictory..Like the opinions on this site, which is good. welcome to Bowhunting...It is very addicting. gl

·
Registered
596 Posts
I also recommend going to a local pro shop. Just don't get caught up in the, my brand is the best mentality, some of those places throw at you. Go and visit several different pro shops if you can in your area, they usually carry several different brands. Once they measure your draw length and get you fitted try shooting several different brands and models til you find the one that feels most comfortable to grip, draw, hold and shoot(not always necessarily the most expensive). Talk to several local archers and get recommendations for accessories, I will bet you will get a very wide range of ideas, in fact it's often hard to find two people that use the exact same setup as far as rests, sights, quivers, arrows, broadheads, etc..
There is a lot of great equipment out there, buy the best you can afford and you won't have any regrets. I have had nothing but great luck with most all the suggestions and recommendations on Archery Talk, If you want to know specifics just ask and you will get replies on the site! Good Luck with whatever equipment you choose and let us know how it works out.:wink:

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well being in college i do have free time. My life consists of sleep, study, class, girls and hunting. I do work one day a week though lol.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Books, magazines, and forums can be very helpful, but there is no substitute for time spent in the woods. If you aren't ready to bowhunt this year, spend as much time as you can in the woods anyway. Go squirrel hunting or something, but get in the woods. You'll have a blast and learn quite a bit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts