Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased 8 dozen Gold Tip XT 75/95 Camo arrows. My old ones cut at 30.5 inches with 100 grain heads weigh right at 433 grains. The new ones are right at 396. Needless to say they wont shoot with the old ones? Can anyone tell me the deal here. I had this same problem a few years ago. Am I getting seconds or arrows that have been labeled wrong? Should I not be purchasing them on the net? Should I start using another arrow company? I have always love the Gold Tips.
Any help really appreciated!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Try a search I dont shoot GT but have seen alot of threds latley about issues I have a buddy that had "ID" issues with GT but not sure of weight

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
Not sure about this for the hunting shafts, but for the GT Ultralite pros, each packed dozen's lable has 3 numbers written on it...that number represents the grain weight of the arrows in that packet.

When you "order up" another dozen, you need that number to insure you get yet another "matched set"?

Another shooter here locally had a worse problem with his Carbon Express arrows than the weight difference you have...his were over 50 grains different from last year's arrows and this year's arrows....same size, same length, same points....and yet the this year's arrows are lighter yet than what you are reporting from the GT's!

SOMETHING has changed...it just doesn't seem right that the same supposed spine and type of arrow can differ like this from year to year, or batch to batch..

But it isn't just a GOLDTIP problem....it also has shown up in Carbon Express arrows too. Wouldn't believe it had I not done the weighing comparisons myself to verify it with those carbon express arrows!

My Ultralite Pro 500's however are dead on...but I ordered up my second dozen by using the written numbers on the label.

field14

·
Registered
33,384 Posts
I have been shooting gold tips for 6 years I shoot 7595 problem is and I can't remember wich is wich but gold tip changed the weight of the cammo xts I cant remember if the old ones are heavy or the new ones are heavy go to gold tip.com check grains per inch match to your arrows

·
Registered
110 Posts
where did you get both of them if you didnt get them from the same place one of them could be selling fony's ive had that happen to me with other products

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I just added the numbers up from GTs arrow specs. 30.5" x 9.2 (75/95 camos are lighter than black? interesting) = 280.6 + 100 gr head + insert 14.8 + gt nock 12.0 gr = 407.4. Then you need to add in the weight for the vanes whichever ones you shoot (an average of 12 to 18 grs for fletching would be in the ballpark for hunting arrows). Of course no arrow ever weighs exactly what the specs say (not for me anyway). But this should be close. 55/75 weigh 8.3 per inch so if they are incorrectly marked that would be about 30 grs. With GT trying to get caught up so fast it is possible that the arrows were mislabled. Although I have never gotten any GTs that had any problems with weight/specs etc.

Before you completely blame the arrow make sure that you have the same inserts, vanes, nocks etc. Also make sure you are comparing apples to apples on the broadheads or points. I have seen people with weight differences and come to find out they were using 125 grs heads rather than 100 etc.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everything is identical. Same everything but the shafts were purchased at different times.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The old camo shafts were heavier than they are now. They had thicker walls. They would not accept .246 inserts. The inserts for them were .244. I believe they were listed at 10.1 grains per inch. I still have about six dozen XT's so I weighed and measured one. It was about 32 1/8 inches long and weighed 324 grains. That comes to 10.085 grains per inch.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
put heavier points in them

put 125 grain points or BH's in and they will be very close. Simple solution. They will still be about 8 or 10 grains difference but it'll be close enough. That's what I'd do.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
hoytshtr said:
put 125 grain points or BH's in and they will be very close. Simple solution. They will still be about 8 or 10 grains difference but it'll be close enough. That's what I'd do.

How will this help if arrows are lighter spined? That seems to be the problem. I think they are mislabel. I have been playing with them and cant get them to shoot with the others and have tried different weight tips. The only thing that seems to work is dropping the draw weight and I dont want to keep the poundage down.

·
Registered
33,384 Posts
I am reposting I doubt verry much the arrows are miss labled. I had to dig up some old shafts 1 iarrowking is correct the old owns are heavier

1 - 15 of 15 Posts