Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to make my own wraps, whats needed and where do you find the supplys to do it.

Thanks

·
www.paramadness.com
2,803 Posts
the stuff you need is called Oracal 651, you can find it at signwarehouse.com it comes 24"x10yard rolls it is a vinyl and its about 2mm thick

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
The premium vinyls used by sign shops can't be used with your typical home inkjets or lasers.

·
im not NOT licking toads.
7,801 Posts
i personaly use what they call "trim sheets" from the hobby shop ..

they are used for making model airplane decals and trim.

the come in 5" wide by 36" long strips ,
at my hobby shop white is $2.50 flo colors are $4.50.

i use a metal ruler that is exactly 1"wide ,
put the ruler on top of the material ,
line up the edge ,
and use a hobby knife to cut the strips out.

makes roughly 3 dozen wraps, for only a couple of bucks you cant beat it.

they work great and ive been doing it this way for years.

not sure if you can use this stuff with printers though

·
www.paramadness.com
2,803 Posts
can that stuff from the hobby shop be printed ?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I don't believe the hobby shop stuff will work either off a home inkjet or laser.

Typical inkjet medium either has a special coating or the fibers of the paper/medium is capable of absorbing and holding ink since the liquid ink is sprayed on. If you try using the premium vinyls, the ink will just spot up on the surface. Same probably with the hobby shop stuff.

Laser printers don't really need a special coating persay as the ink isn't so much absorbed as it is burned on. The laser electrostatically charges the print drum inside, which picks up the dry ink elements. The drum then presses the ink onto the medium with heat so it's essentially dry ink fused to the print medium via heat. This is where you run into problems with the vinyls.

Typically, solvent printers are used on the premium vinyls. The solvent printers is basically a heated inkjet... kind of. The ink is thermally applied in such a way that the ink dries fast. This is due to the solvent based ink as well as the thermal application. Hence, a specially coated surface isn't necessary for the ink to adhere. Generally, solvent printers are what wrap makers use.

·
Archery Talk Sponsor
3,557 Posts
I'll be selling wrap material to use with ink jets.

I haven't decided on all the sizes yet..ones I currently have are 1.28x5.12.

The sheets each have 12 wraps pre-cut. They will work with the SSX software.

Put name or shaft ID on wrap. Design and print.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
i think you are looking for injet vinyl. I havent tried it, but have read somewhere that it works. I saw it on ebay a few years ago.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
The inkjet vinyls work but there are some minor issues with using them as arrow wraps. If you have fat arrows, it isn't as much of a problem. It's when you get into smaller diameter arrows that you start running into issues. One of the biggest weakpoints of the inkjet sticker vinyls is the coating the vinyl manufacturer uses is fairly brittle. It can chip pretty easily. So you really want to use a clear coat if only just to strength the top layer and prevent chipping. The second biggest weakpoint is the adhesive strength. While it's plenty strong enough to use as a bumper sticker (which really the type of application it was designed for), the adhesive isn't strong enough to hold well at the seamline on medium-small to small diameter arrows. It'll pop up.

Check out this thread for some tips and hints that will help if you do decide to try the inkjet sticky vinyls.

http://archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?p=4938372#post4938372

You might come up with a better technique but using the ones outlined in the thread, you should be able to get that inkjet vinyl to work even on small diameter arrows.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts