Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Martin tuning help

A friend has a Martin Tracer with a WB rest and a d-loop. We can not get it to paper tune. I have moved the rest and the d-loop and it still tears nock high. I have tried moving the rest and the loop both directions and I can't get a tear better than 2-3" nock high at 7' (this is with the nock extremely high). I have checked the tiller, it's set even. I need some help. The bow has the Tru-Arc cams.

Darrel

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ttt

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
It sure sounds like fletch contact to me. Try getting some lipstick, or Christmas tree flocking (thanks AT, read about this one and love it), or spray on style foot power, and coat the fletch before you shoot the arrow into a butt.

Check out the arrow and look for contact on the fletch, and also the rest. I'll bet you that you find contact and that once fixed your problem will be gone.

Let us know, and if you don't find any we will ask more questions. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since he has a Whisker Biscuit rest, I don't see how there couldn't be contact. :D I did notice that there seems to be excessive wear to the bottom of the hole of the WB.

Darrel

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Darrel said:
Since he has a Whisker Biscuit rest, I don't see how there couldn't be contact. :D I did notice that there seems to be excessive wear to the bottom of the hole of the WB.

Darrel
Point well taken, but there is contact, and then there is CONTACT. If excessive wear is evident than I think we have a winner. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem is: no matter how we move the rest or the D-loop we have the same problem. I'm begining to think it may be a cam tuning issue. Do you know of any reference points on the Martin Tru-Arc cams? I went to thier web site and they had a photo but it didn't show much and they stated that the cam rotation would change with the draw length settings.

Thanks for the help.

Darrel

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a friend having the same problem with his Tru-Arcs, and a drop-away. The bow shoots Xs all day long but will not paper tune even when you threaten to toss it in the driveway and drive over it! Adding some twist to the bottom cable helped a little, as did raising the rest just a tad. It's still not perfect but the bow is deadly accurate regardless.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Send a PM to Crackers and ask his advise. I doubt very much that it is a cam timing issue unless it is really really off.

But sometimes it is something that is so simple that we just don't think to look. For example, just a couple of weeks ago I was at a pro shop that I had only been to once. They are a great shop (Riverside Archery in Mt. Vernon, WA) but I don't live in the area so I don't usually go there. They were having a nightmare trying to get a Mathews to paper tune, massive 2" + left tear. I thought it might be contact, but that did not pan out. I mentioned that it appeared to be acting like cam lean or limb twist, but that I did not think that Mathews had that problem. The shop owner looked at the top idler wheel and immediately saw that the top cable was not twisted the same on both sides and indeed the top limb was turned/twisted. He twisted the cable to straighten the limb and the bow show bullet holes. Simple fix, just to obvious to think of.

Is the whisker biscuit actually worn into an oval? Perhaps the arrow is kicking up into the biscuit and changing biscuit will fix the problem. How does the arrow look on rest with a bow level? How hard is the wall at full draw? This cam should have a fairly good wall. If the wall is firm you really cannot have that issue cause a high tear.

In short, if you cannot find the problem, go to a pro shop. If you have, go to a different one - different eyes and different ideas. Or perhaps you can fly to Blaine Washington and let me see the bow - never failed to fix one yet but I have sure had to have help a few times (LOL).

Good luck and PM me with any other questions. ;)

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Archersteve, thanks for your help. I have sent a PM to crackers. I hope we can correct the problem. The young man that bought the bow has only had it for 5 days. We were shooting at the shop where he bought it, but we are all lost as to why it will not tune. We will try a few things when I see him again.

Thanks again,

Darrel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts