Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I probably will be getting a couple of dozens Navigators soon and my Archers Advantage software does not have the update. I could use some help on what size to order. My set up will be ….

29.25-29.50 draw
58 pounds ( would like the flexibility to go 56-60 if the shaft would accommodate it)
Hard cam??… Wendell , Fury X or Synergy Pro

Tip weight … I could use some recommendations on that also. I will be shooting these shafts for Fita and field archery applications.

Any and all recommendations would be appreciated ..

Thanks

·
Registered
34,164 Posts
What arrow are you shooting now? You can always match spines.
For example if you are shooting 3-28 acc's then order some 480 navigators. The Navigators 480's are a little stiffer than a 3-28 but then you just add a little point weight and it will break the spine down a bit. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whoops I knewI was forgeting something....

Probably 30 -30.5 inches or so.... I could trimm a little off that if the "charts" said I was on the border line or something"

Hornet believe it or not I have shot the same dozen of ACC's for 3 years and I think they are 3-39's and now that you ask I can't be sure untill I go home and look..

Darn hate it when that happens :rolleyes:

·
Registered
294 Posts
navs.

I ran it through my archers advantage and came up with this for ya:

430 navigators will work just fine with a 29 inch shaft legth if you can get away with it with 100gr points did this all at the 58 lbs that you said you most likely will be shooting

hope this helps

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
I would assume given the shaft length and the draw length you noted that you are referring to "true" draw and not AMO draw length? Otherwise why the desire to go so long with the arrow shafts?

If so, based only on experience and annecdotal info from other archers I've talked to, I think the 430 would be the min size to try and keep the point weight light (i.e. no more than 100gr). I think you'll right on the border of being able to use the 430 and having the 430 turn out to be too weak. Just guessing here though but given the 30+" arrow length and the Wedel and Fury-X (I believe these do rank as "hard" for purposes of arrow selection) I think you're going to be close. Synergy Pros on the other hand I've been able select the "medium" cams and had good luck matching arrow selection to what I've been able to get to group well. As a "medium" cam I'd be more prone to believing the 430 would work at the settings you noted.

Hope any of this info helps.................:)

>>------------>

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Jeff I was hoping you would chime in …..

The 29.5” is AMO draw. I try to purchase a bow @29.5 ( if possible) based on the AMO standards that all bows are sold by and go down ¼ if need be from there. The Synergy Pros’ sure do make that job easy!! I did measure my true draw once and I think it was 28.25 (makes since that would be the 1.5 inch or so for the AMO rating)

I Shoot a 29” arrow for 3-D and probably could go down to 28.5 from there. I only say 30+ on the Navigator so I would have a little room to play with tip weight, spine, and FOC. Naturally, I would not need that option if I could put together the “ultimate arrow” from the beginning

What are your recommendations on a tip weight for Fita Shooting . I know some go light for distance and others go a little heavy to plow through the wind a little better.

Anybody else with some recommendations??

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
Tip weight for FITA, I would go somewhere between 100-110. They seem to be the most common weights used by most of the top archers I have talked with.

I shot the Nav 430 last year, combinations from 28-29" and 100-110 gr tips, out of my Couger III Fury X cams 28.5" draw 57-60# and they worked very well.

CHPro, I was told that the Fury cam was more on the medium side of cam type.

Hope this helps,

LeEarl

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
LeEarl, Fury cam maybe "medium", but I think the Fury X leans more towards the "hard" side because you don't have the cable guard friction slowing things like the Fury. Same with the Wedel cams.

centerx, assuming you have your arrow rest somewhere at a point directly above your hand (i.e. arrow contact on the rest is somewhere directly above the throat of the grip) I'd say you could easily drop down to a 29" arrow. I think at 58# that would be better than trying to get a 30" arrow spined back up. As an fyi, I shot Synergy Pro65's (Supra) this summer, about 56#, and my AMO drawlength is right around 29 1/2". Not that much unlike your set-up except I'm shooting a little less poundage. I shot 2 different sets of Nav 480's. The first set I cut off around 29" and used 110gr points. These worked great for me for field and most FITA apps. However, because of my high anchor (just under 5" from top of nock to center of peep) I couldn't get these arrows to reach 90m (a little too heavy) without doing all sorts of odd sight adjustments (smaller bodied scope housing, pulling sight extension all the way in, etc.). So, I set up a second set of Nav 480's, cut off to about 28 1/2" and used 100gr points. I used these solely at 90m and 70m. Both sets of arrows flew and grouped well for me. Considering the couple extra pounds you plan on shooting and the possibility that you may be shooting a Fury X config, I think the 430's at those lengths and point weights would be darn near perfect. I'm sure would even work on a SynPro65 set-up. Just my opinion however.

Maybe Despy will chime in with his Nav set-up as well. I think his set-up was very close to what you intend on shooting (Fury X that is anyways, lol!). I think Despy started out with 480's but was considering trying the 430's - not sure if he did however.

As far as point weight goes, if there's any wind, imo you're going to want to stick with something with some point weight to it (i.e. 100gr or more). The Nav 480's w/ 100 gr points are probably heavier than anything I've shot in recent years for FITA and by far drifted the least as well. So even though I was shooting a slower set--up, the heavier arrow and point did a superior job of holding the arrow on line, just my observation anyway. I had been shooting a super light set-up the past few years (2-28 Hyperspeed w/ 70gr points, approx. 284fps) and all I needed was a whisper of wind to drift my arrows almost uncontrollably at 90m and 70m. Sure was fast, but while I was holding over in the red on a slight breeze everyone else shooting heavier X10's were holding an the edge of the 10-ring. Nice this year to hold a little closer to the middle, in fact I found myself many times overcompensating because of past drift experiences the last few years, lol :D!

Hope any of this helps.......:)

JB >>---->

·
Registered
506 Posts
Anyone with a registered copy of Version 4.0 or later can obtain specs for Easton Navigators and the latest maintennce release by going to Help & Selecting 'Check For Updates' or by going to my web site and downloading the latest update.

Good Shooting!

Perry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts