Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have access to this piece of property:

The upper left hand corner is my house. The other houses on the property are not occupied. The pond on the upper left is a beaver pond / marsh. The dark blue line running through the middle is a creek (about 3-4 foot wide, not very deep). The three red dots represent stands that I have alreay positioned. I have seen deer almost everywhere on the property at one time or another. There are pretty heavy bedding areas (cedars) on the Northern edge of the property on the eastern side of the creek. In the Southern part there are a few apple trees not too far from the house. Obviously, the deer are feeding on the corn.

I only have access from my house or from the SW side.

How should I approach getting in and not getting busted. Also, where else should I hang stands?? It is not a very big piece, but it is a honey hole. I have seen up to 20 deer in the corn field after it is cut on almost any given night. There is hunting pressure from the lands to the Northeast.

Thanks,

dan

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Evening:

If that is a treeline running thru the cornfield, I would set up about half way down it facing the East. (assuming the top of the pic is North.)

AM: Try walking around the outside to get to the pond and catch them comming off the field and too the water for a morning drink.

Hell, it all looks good to me. If you have seen as many as 20 in the field and the property is not very big, it looks like a no brainer. Slowly tweek your position to provide the best opportunity. Private land is awesome.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Use the water.

I would buy some hip high waders and go through the crick as quietly as possible and get into a funnel area in the cedars where they will come out to head to the corn from or back to the bedding in the cedars.
Down towards the bottom of your map there is a clearing that has cover from the trees from the left, right and bottom in relation to the map. I bet they will hug the edges of the trees around that area and then head to or from the corn by that route. I think the water is your best bet to make it down there with no scent trail... buy some waders!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

Yes it is a tree line in the corn field. I am assuming that you would set up to hunt that tree line after the corn is cut? Would be tough to see or get a shot at anything with the corn still standing. Or would you just watch the edges?

Cityboy,

Can't easily get to the creek without distrubing some bedding areas, but the middle red dot is a stand on a funnel crossing the creek. The problem is getting into it without being busted completely. The most direct, and non-deer route is to park at the outside of the driveway (bottom of corn field) and walk in along the road, then cut down the creek to the stand, but this is basically walking through the middle of the property. Oh, and no need for waders in the creek, my rubber knee boots are plenty high enough.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Waders sound like the way to go as far as I am concerned! Or boots. You might want to wade that now before the season starts and trim and branches that would slowyou down. My exp has been that you need to be quiet but not quiet when coming by water as they just dont seem as alrmed when you are in the H2O.

EP

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you look at your treestands from left to right and find the middle stand (#2) go straight south to the point where the trees meet the creek and the open field, you will be in the pocket of that field. I would bet a million bucks (sorry not gonna pay if I lose) that you have a great little natural funnel, or at least a spot that forces deer to cross or go around the creek, because I bet they avoid the house depending on how recently it was vacated, that's where I'd be about 25 yards in.

Another thing is you said that the houses were empty. Do any of them have really thick overgrowth behind them like they haven't been cared for in a while. They all look like they are pretty close to the trees and if you had one that had thick overgrowth near the trees I would bet you have a big buck sanctuary.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
these threads blow my mind. ya these guys can give there opinion on stand placement from an arial photo, But with out looking at the lay of the land from the ground its a guess at best. Use your best judgement learn from watching and pattern the deer. you dont need some guys opinion that lives 3 states away. The only way to learn is spend time in the woods. And see that is my opinion and i'm opening myself up for a tongue lashing, lord knows it will happpen here. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
35 Posts
While I agree with Deer Stabber about scouting and watching deer movement yourself, and with your own skills will be better off than us "arm chairs" giving advice, I will still throw my 2 cents in...

In just looking at the aerial quickly, I see a major funnel you need to be hung in. If you follow your "middle red dot" straight southwest (assuming top is N), and go past the pole shed (or whatever that is in the center of the picture), you will see the creek, the open field and the BIG woods all neck down and merge right there. I would bet money there is one heckuva number of trails that all come together there.

Good luck.

Bryon

·
2nd Amend. Don't lose it
22,053 Posts
Looking at the land, and knowing the houses are empty...

Look for where the MOST deer trails CONVERGE into one...

You have food, water, and shelter.... All the necessities that make deer happy...

They need that water, and they WILL filter to it.

The numer 2 treestand (the one in the fork of the Y) is puzzling...

Do you have converging deer trails just south of your #2 stand? (My guess would be about 40 yards south of you? (close to where the uppper stem of the Y is??? right along that creek?

I don't know how the deer travel, but look for the deer traveling up that "Y" stem, and taking one of two directions... to the right and up, or two the left and up.

Most important of all... find out WHERE those deer are traveling to get TO their water!!!... then follow their trail backwards. (or the hottest trail backwards)...soon you will find where trails meet each other. where they fork and meet into one. Postion your stand where it is most effective from the wind. Sometimes that means shooting through brush hole for a good shot, instead of a open easy shot.

You can stick a stand in the middle of a cornfield.. but its no good without any deer trails!

If you know there bedding spot NEVER , and I mean NEVER stick your stand CLOSE to their bedding... stay as far away as possible from a bedding spot. Put your stand between the bedding and the food/water. Once you invade the bedding spot, you stand a extremely high risk of the deer moving away to another field.

Dwayne

·
2nd Amend. Don't lose it
22,053 Posts
Hello Bryon,

Bryon>>I see a major funnel you need to be hung in. If you follow your "middle red dot" straight southwest (assuming top is N), and go past the pole shed (or whatever that is in the center of the picture), you will see the creek, the open field and the BIG woods all neck down and merge right there. I would bet money there is one heckuva number of trails that all come together there. <<

Yep,,, you see the exact same thing I do... I just wonder how many deer are pacing there. That step of the Y could be a major throughfare to their waterway and food.

Dwayne

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dwayne:

You and I are on the same page!

Hunt the fringes and funnels. Keep the wind in your favor and let the deer feel secure in their sanctuary/bedding area.

Hunt them in travel corridors, don't spook them out of the bedroom.

Bryon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts