Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sometimes just freeze below the dot and can't move it up. I try comming down on target but seem to drop just below target and freeze. Im sending a picture. Will take any sugustions to help weather it be mental or form.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Form looks great to me. I had the same thing happen to me and for me it was a case of target panic, I got through it by not looking at my pin. I paid more attention to the x and less on the pin then I started to see my pin blocking my veiw to the x and it just worked out for me.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Quit looking at the pin. Focus hard on the target and make a good release and follow through. Adjust sight as necessary. Sounds easy enough doesn't it.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I have been battling the same problem for 2+ years!!!!

Focus focus focus

·
Registered
332 Posts
I had the same problem too. I dropped all my pins down, so my arrow hit right on top of where I was aiming. Worked for me.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
It helps me to shoot at a smaller target too, I have same problem when I shoot at a big target say 3" but if I switch to a target the size of a quarter it helps me!

·
Registered
709 Posts
i had this for years. actually tried the focus on target and not pin. it took some doing and practicing but now it is first nature and really improved my shooting and especially grouping. if you practice your eye and brain will bring the pin into view center of where you are focusing. i never see my pin until time to fire except as a blur while i am focusing on the target dot. also put you some little 1 1/2 or 2" orange bulls eye stickers on your target. the smaller aiming point helps alot as well. good luck to you.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
TP I have it and I've been fighting ever since I got back into archery. It's a mental thing for me and I really have to focus hard on the X and totally ignore the pin and trust my shot.

I have to remember to stop over aiming and shoot.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Form looks solid enough.The bow arm is dropped for shooting down instead of bending at the waist but a separate issue.Just make sure you are getting the front shoulder loaded like we discussed.

Sometimes a slight peep adjustment will help with this problem.Try a couple different positions.

But I agree with the others.It is a form of tp most likely and what will help more than anything is aiming practice/drills.Pull the bow up and just let the pin float on the spot without firing.Do it for an extended period of time then let down.If it is a bad enough case,don't fire the bow for a week or more.Then do some blank bale where you are just focused on the release.Maybe alternate between the 2 drills but don't shoot for real for a couple weeks.

I think you will be surpised.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, I will work on looking at target and not the pin and see if I can get this under control. Lucky for me in the woods I seem to go into action and haven't missed a deer in a long time. Heck shot the one 2 times last 2nd shot was 35 yds. I guess that proves I aiming to hard on targets.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
Thanks guys, I will work on looking at target and not the pin and see if I can get this under control. Lucky for me in the woods I seem to go into action and haven't missed a deer in a long time. Heck shot the one 2 times last 2nd shot was 35 yds. I guess that proves I aiming to hard on targets.
I struggle with the same problem It is alot worse with spot targets.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Shoot a full sized target, but do it from 5-10 yards. Get right up there, slam that pin in the middle, focus on the target, make a good release, bam bulls eye. This is described much better by GRIV as the 10 yard drill. The idea is to get so close you can't help but hit the bulls eye. Have your mind get used to the pin in the middle and executing the shot. Give the 10 yard drill a try and follow it religiously.........you'll be holding in the middle in no time.

·
Bowhemian
8,300 Posts
Try shifting more of your weight to your rearward leg. You might unconsciously be leaning into your shot.

·
Banned
1,745 Posts
Seriously your pin freezes cause your focused more on it than the target. Stare at where you want your arrow to hit and let the pin just super impose itself over your target. You should just barly see the pin.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts