Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be buying a tribute Thursday morning. I have been shooting 60-62 pounds. I shot one the other day at 65 smooth mod & it was a tad hard drawing even with just a t-shirt on & 80 degrees out.

Should i get the 60 lb and let it be whatever it max's out at or go with the 70 & back down to 60-62?:confused:
I only hunt, don't shoot all year long & don't work out any.
I would love to be able to shoot 65 lbs. comfortable, but I don't think it will ever happen.:sad: If there is a suggestion on this one please post.

Reccomendations will be greatly appreciated In helping with my decision.

If you have a 60lb tribute, what does yours max out at?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Bows are generally more efficient maxed out. A 50-60 lb bow maxed out to 60 will shoot faster than a 60-70 backed down. Pushing your limit on poundage for hunting can cause problems also. You will be steadier at the lower poundage. Depending on the temps when you're hunting, you don't want to be struggling to pull back your max when you've been sitting for several hours in the cold. That's just my opinion and experience.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A bow is at its best when maxed out. I would go with a 60 pound bow. If you buy a heavier poundage bow and back it off it will still shoot god but not at its best.:)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Ok, so now I've checked your location, you probably don't spend a lot of time shivering on your hunts like I do. I would still go with the 60# bow maxed out over the 70# bow backed off.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
All bows are more EFFICIENT at max weight....but with todays designs, with pivoting limb pockets, and other technical advances in bow geometry in general, this is becoming less and less apparent.

My advice is to buy the 60 lb model and enjoy. A tribute at 60 lbs is still faster than a lot of 70 lb bows new on the market today!

A friend of mine recently switched from a 70 lb Mathews Switchback XT, to a 60 lb Bowtech Tribute, and I am pretty sure he reduced his draw length by a 1/2 inch on the tribute and the still got more speed than he was getting out of his Mathews bow shooting the exact same arrows.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Thanks Tex!

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Definitely the 50 to 60lb model. It gives you the option of dropping down more yet in the future if you ever want ... or need to. My buddy is shooting a Bowtech Tomcat at 54# & 27"DL and he’s getting 264fps with a 6-1/2gr per inch arrow! My Allegiance is zipping along at well over 300fps with a 5gr/in arrow & 62lb DW. 65# is nice, but not if you have to “worry” about drawing it back under adverse conditions ... been there; done that ... learned my lesson. :wink:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
minnow said:
Ok, so now I've checked your location, you probably don't spend a lot of time shivering on your hunts like I do. I would still go with the 60# bow maxed out over the 70# bow backed off.
Yea i'm down here in central Alabama where temps usually don't get below 30 for the high & thats pushing it but i'm cold natured as it is so i bundle up a little more:wink:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Poundage

I went with the 60 LB Tribute and so glad I did.max at 62 lbs

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With the exception of last year i was shooting all bows, 70 lbs backed off to 62. Last year i had a 60lb Vipertec maxed out & done my personal best with it. No problems......except it was a little on the slow side.:sad:
Thats why i was considering the 70 tribute this year. My thoughts were go with the 60 but i didn't want to be as slow as the vipertec was, it would defeat the purpose of selling it.:rolleyes:
All my shots here are usually 30 yards & under.
It would be a 28" draw, 27" arrow....either GT 55/75 (left over from last year)or the new Maximas, 100 gr. head.

Thanks for all the replies... Keep'em coming
Looks like it is going to be the 60. :wink:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
buckfeverben said:
A friend of mine recently switched from a 70 lb Mathews Switchback XT, to a 60 lb Bowtech Tribute, and I am pretty sure he reduced his draw length by a 1/2 inch on the tribute and the still got more speed than he was getting out of his Mathews bow shooting the exact same arrows.
I told a buddy who is die hard mathews that & he didn't believe me....He told me if i could shoot the same or faster speed than him with his own arrow (327 gr. maxima) with a 60 lb. bowtech he would give up his mathews & switch.:eek:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only other problem i have had is the doc told me i had some small spurs in the joint of my shoulder, only way to get rid of them is to go in and shave them off:cry: (not an option for me at this point)
I do have some anti-inflammitory meds he gave me for when it flares up. which is not too often unless i over extend it a certain way or throw too many softballs with my daughter & it gets to hurting a little.:cry:

But i wouldn't do anything to let her down:wink:

·
Hunt By Faith Not By Site
5,460 Posts
Go with the 60 pounder and enjoy the smoother draw especially when the cold weather gets going you don't want to have to strain or make excessive movements to pull your bow back. I shoot 60 pounds and it's plenty smooth and faster and can take any animal in North America.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Tribute - Awesome bow

The Tribute is wicked fast and would be more than enough on 60#.If you never plan on shooting or needing 70#,I'd go with the 60#er.Like was said by some others,bows shoot best maxed out.

Good Luck,
Brandon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts