Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for some advice on what to use to keep seed ticks & chiggars off
we set our tree stands out this weekend & was covered even though we used bug repellant & used sulfer

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Seed ticks are horrible! I have had them bad a few times. Me and my buddy went out this weekend I sprayed down my entire body with off deep woods, he just sprayed his ankles...he got them on his stomach, we went through the same places, i didnt get any. I do have some chiggar bites though. Good Luck with em...dont know really how to treat it.

Oh by the way, a seed tick is tiny tiny tick, about the size of well,,,small...if you were to take a pencil and make a dot on a piece of paper, thats how big they are and they usually get you in like colonies, brush up against one and your in from some itching. Get em bad it looks like your skin is crawling-----ive had them that bad before...crazy, not fun.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
spray with permanone repellent and also wear long pants tuck them inside your rubber boots and wear long sleeves also. take duct tape and wrap both the legs and wrists closed and you wont have any problems.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
rhino skin

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
seed ticks

Brewer's yeast tablets might help also, take several every day you are out in the woods, start a couple days before. Ticks don't like something about it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
seed ticks

oh yes... permanone is the best, also duranon works great as well. Man I have actually had a couple hundred seed ticks on me at one time during the summer while scouting!

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
I'm am picking seed ticks off myself right now. Little *some word you can't say here* . :confused:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Trick I read about to help remove seed ticks before they're burrowed in is to use duct tape or adhesive tape to remove them. Just put tape on, then lift them off. Haven't tried it, but it might be worth a try unless you're really hairy where you're picking them. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Treat your clothing with Permanone...Do not apply directly to skin...If applied liberally a few days before your hunt you can lie down in a bed of ticks and come up clean...!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Kfish, permanone works great on seed ticks but does very little for chiggars. Even though the can says it will repel chiggars I apply a deet product to repel the chiggs. I live in Western KY and the seed ticks are abundant this time of the year and I like to spray my hunting pants and shirt the night before and let dry. I also spray my pack and the permanone will be effective for a number of days and will kill the seed ticks upon contact. While scouting a usually spray permanone from my boots up my pants leg, front and back to my pants pockets. I then take outdoors off with deet and spray over the permanone at the top of my rubber boots and pants and then spray a band around my waistline and this has worked for me. I also keep checking my pants especially above my knee to make sure the seed ticks are dying. If they are not doing backflips I will spray a fresh coat. I will be glad to see the first frost. Good Hunting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts