Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am a first time poster, long time reader. I recently had an accident and ended up slicing about half way through my bowstring. I shoot a XT with the stock strings on it. What do you all recommend for replacements? I am not a huge fan of the factory mathews strings. I am thinking about letting the local shop owner put on some of the strings he makes. Just hoping to get some input about custom made strings or sticking with the bigger companies.
Thanks in advance,
R

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
It depends on who your local pro shop is...some are very good. Otherwise check out, in no particular order, Bucknasty, R&A, Winners Choice, Wolfden, H&M, Vapor Trail, etc....there are a lot of good string makers out there.

Check the classified on this site and you will pull up more string makers than you can shake a stick at.

I have used Bucknasty, Winners Choice, another guy, and Vapor Trail. 2 of 4 were great, 1 was good, and 1 I never shot an arrow off of for hunting or competition as they wouldn't work at all.

I currently have Bucknasty and Winners Choice on my bows right now:wink:

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Shoot Bucknasty (fellow AT'er ) a pm . He makes a high quality string for a resonable price. Save a bucks 4 :darkbeer:

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have always immediately upgraded to Winners Choice with the two Mathews bows I shot, Legacy and Outback, and still shoot the Outback. Those zebras on the Legacy stretched like it was meant to be, I shot a lot and every week had issues with arrow flight so I would go to the shop in San Diego and my arrow would fly way off thru paper, so re paper tune it and so on. I was just getting back into bowhunting and had never really learned how to shoot a bow accurately, I was a good shot inside thirty yards for hunting, but real accuracy was something I had never tried, anyways I got a WC put on and voila, shot about fifty or so times, tuned it up, and then it stayed there, then got the Outback and am on my third WC sring.

Though I have read great things about Crackers and Bucknasty's strings.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Stone mountain/ Dakota strings are great!! they dont stretch and they look great! they are also very affordable. the only thing about having a pro shop maing them for you is that they will often stretch, but some shops can make excellent strings, so I would check with other people who have shot that shops strings and see how they like them. hope that helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the input. I am heard many good things about the local guy, so I am gonna give him a shot. Things always have a way of happening 3 days before season.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts