Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to turkey hunting and i was wondering whats the best ways to hunt turkey in alabama. Sitting in a blind on a green field with decoys and calling?,walking around calling? Thanks!

· Registered
3,499 Posts
If your going to be hunting w/a bow, I'd say from a blind. Takes more time, but it's a lot easier to draw.

I walk & call a lot of the time & often get silent birds just pop up, with out a chance to draw w/out them high tailing it.

I'd get a blind a learn some calling to start out. Go out & put 'em to bed, & you'll save a lot of effort.

Good luck. It's a lot of fun.

· Registered
1,185 Posts
dont mean to hijack the thread from the op but what do you mean by put them to bed
If your going to be hunting w/a bow, I'd say from a blind. Takes more time, but it's a lot easier to draw.

I walk & call a lot of the time & often get silent birds just pop up, with out a chance to draw w/out them high tailing it.

I'd get a blind a learn some calling to start out. Go out & put 'em to bed, & you'll save a lot of effort.

Good luck. It's a lot of fun.

· Registered
654 Posts
Putting them to bed refers to observing them on their roost at sundown. Often turkeys will flydown in the morning where they flew up in the evening. So by knowing what trees they are in, and have a good guess as to where they will be flying down the next morning, that increases your odds the next morning as long as you get there early enough. My first season hunting birds I set up my blind directly under a tree of a hen right in the middle of their roost. The hen alarm putted at me in the dark and scared the crap out of me. I observed where they flew down but never got a shot off, the next morning I setup pretty much right where they fly down at VERY quietly in the dark. As soon as the sun was up a tom flew straight down at my decoy and pecked him. The only call I made that morning was a 3.5" blast of #5s...

· Registered
414 Posts
Best bet would be to setup in a field where you know birds like to hang. My favorite setup and most productive.

· Registered
3,499 Posts
Putting them to bed refers to observing them on their roost at sundown. Often turkeys will flydown in the morning where they flew up in the evening. So by knowing what trees they are in, and have a good guess as to where they will be flying down the next morning, that increases your odds the next morning as long as you get there early enough. My first season hunting birds I set up my blind directly under a tree of a hen right in the middle of their roost. The hen alarm putted at me in the dark and scared the crap out of me. I observed where they flew down but never got a shot off, the next morning I setup pretty much right where they fly down at VERY quietly in the dark. As soon as the sun was up a tom flew straight down at my decoy and pecked him. The only call I made that morning was a 3.5" blast of #5s...
Yup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.