Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are currently shooting 2 fish underwater on our course. We have them permanently anchored, and have gotten a few complaints. You almost have to get down on your stomach to pull the arrows, which obviously isn't ideal. What is a good way to anchor them that they can be pulled easier?

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Your making people wade in the water to pull arrows? LOL I would walk around that target.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, we don't make people wade in n the water to retrieve arrows lol. We have bridges to cross back and forth accross the creek. The fish targets are right along the bridges and can be reached but it is a bit difficult for people who aren't in good shape. We are trying to come up with some convenient way to keep the targets underwater, yet allow them to be pulled up some to retrieve arrows.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would put an anchor with a pulley and a rope tied to the bridge. Put a loop at the submerged length, and a knot on the end. that way they can unhook the loop and the target comes to the surface (without losing the rope due to knot), and then they just pull the rope and hook the loop when they're done to submerge the target to the exact same depth each time.

The main question is what happens when they miss?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would put an anchor with a pulley and a rope tied to the bridge. Put a loop at the submerged length, and a knot on the end. that way they can unhook the loop and the target comes to the surface (without losing the rope due to knot), and then they just pull the rope and hook the loop when they're done to submerge the target to the exact same depth each time.

The main question is what happens when they miss?
Thats pretty much what I was thinking of doing. Generally if it's a miss, you can pull it off of the opposite bank, but there might be a bit of an issue there too. One is a rinehart carp, it's about impossible to miss. The gar though is a little easier to miss. Generally people like those kind of targets on our course. It is a hunter style course with some tougher shots. It's not a course for a hardcore IBO or ASA guy with a target setup, it would frustrate that type of shooter I imagine.

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
I thought he was makin' a joke about trying to shoot Metropolis...shot a black boar that was up to his knees in water.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts