Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was given a tracking number which showed a package (assumed to be my bow) was received in post office on 26 Aug 2011 and estimated time of delivery to me was 1st September. (hasnt shown up)

the tracking number was given to me my sender which is how i saw that info but now when i look it says info for that tracking number not available on this site (USPS Tracking site)

What does this mean (bow has not arrived) how can i check with USPS what is going on.

payment was made with paypal

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just got screwed out of a digital car stereo with the (almost) exact scenario. Hope you had insurance! I didn't and they said, "well sir, thats why we have insurance." I wanted to jack that dude in the jaw. Hope you have better luck than me, I use UPS exclusively now unless it is live ammo, then I have to use Fedex in my area. Not oo bad but not UPS either.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
let's review......the often repeated way the USPS handles "DELIVERY CONFIRMATION"

the USPS does not have active, in-transit tracking like FED-EX and UPS. when you get that not so tracking 'TRACKING' number entered into the system, it logs it as being received by the post office. it does not mean IN -TRANSIT updates. when you receive the item, the carrier has to log it and when the carrier returns at the end of their route, it gets entered into the DELIVERY CONFIRMATION system. THEN you can see what the end status is of the item.

if you want it to be a stop-by-stop, in-transit tracking.....dont be so cheap, insist on having it shipped FED-EX or UPS AND get it insured for the VALUE OF A NEW REPLACEMENT ITEM, not DECLARED VALUE.

if you need something YESTERDAY, dont order it TOMORROW. poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on someone else's.

i guess it's a little too obvious to remind everyone that the atlantic seaboard is getting a little wet this week so things will be a little slower coming or going there.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Contact the usps and give them your tracking number. They will be able to tell you if it has been delivered and if it was your address.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Yes, USPS is delivery confirmation only, but will update periodically.

And - I've used all the services at one time or another and have only recently had issues. A recurve shipped UPS "disappeared" for 3 days after being scanned "out for delivery". I thought it was a theft issue, but it was located at another UPS location.

A bow being shipped to me was scheduled to arrive today, but ended up on a truck in Milwaukee, over an hour away. It was redirected, correctly, and the delivery time increased.

I was able to see the issues, sort of. But at least it shows grounds for the problems being with the company and not the shipper or receiver. And I always ship for replacement value insurance. $10 extra is better than losing $600.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dang Rock, that was harsh....and I didn't look at the way mine was being shipped so I blame myself. Funny thing with mine tho, they asked for the track number, I gave it to them and then said the number didn't match anything. I just kinda chuckled cus I thought he was kidding. Tax dollars hard at work tho....

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Dang Rock, that was harsh....and I didn't look at the way mine was being shipped so I blame myself. Funny thing with mine tho, they asked for the track number, I gave it to them and then said the number didn't match anything. I just kinda chuckled cus I thought he was kidding. Tax dollars hard at work tho....
EVERY time someone doesnt get their package sent by USPS, they go off on a rant about the 'TRACKING' number and how few updates are shown. here is where i improperly assume that others read those threads and get an explanation about the differences between delivery "TRACKING" and delivery "CONFIRMATION" numbers. more seem to have the 'selective reading disorder'.....unless it applies to their sacred manufacturer.

i'm not a postal employee. if i was, i'd have been shot years ago for trying to hold an employee to their position's responsibilities and expecting reasonable competency.

i know there are several postal employees that are members here and i'm fairly certain they've gone past the 'blue in the face' phase of explaining it.

·
j.myers
2,640 Posts
I have used them alot for my shipping and have only had a issue one time and it went to wrong state and was shipped priority mail we got tracking no# and seen where it went when it finally got delivered i went back to post office showed them the day it was delivered and got my refund back for priority mail .

·
Registered
102 Posts
Paying with paypal is actually to your advantage here (I hate to say this because paypal is a huge pain to me as a vendor). Anyway, give it a few days yet to show. If it doesn't file a item not received with paypal. They will have a week to prove delivery. Don't do it too early. You only ge one crack at it with paypal. if that doesn't work which it likely will you can do a credit card chargeback. I hate them. Most are scams but basically you get 1 chargeback without hastle. If the item isn't somewhat valuable I probably wouldn't do the chargeback. As for your package it will likel make it to you. USPS is horrible about updating or even having correct info. USPS has great pricing but the service can be awful at times. I can't even get our postman to show up daily.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I'd let the seller worry about it...tell him he has 2,3,4 weeks to get the bow to you or you get your money back through paypal...piece of cake really. Good luck

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
You're not saying much, does/did the # say accepted or acceptance at so and so city/town? If it does come up again click details and it will tell you what kind of service it has. Technically the next update should say received at and hopefully your home town. If you do get the # to come back up click details and if it says parcel post, be prepared to wait a bit. If the # is still coming up not found contact your local P.O..

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
to let all know (including rock and i understand his angst, i did not think to search on here for USPS stories) the bow has arrived, a week late but nevertheless arrived.

i live abroad and am not familiar with how USPS works, (i usually ship my stuff overseas fedex or UPS) hence the question about the tracking number.

i now know how USPS tracking system works and all it took was a bit of help from the forum, much appreciated all. i did not choose the shipping method it was just shipped to me in the standard way the seller does i am not very au fait with shipping stuff around the USA and also my first time using paypal (bit scary).

All is well that ends well and i am now the proud owner of my first bow (when i actually get to the USA next week to pick it up i will post pics etc, it is an Elite Hunter)

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I have ordered from Canada and the shipper got a 'tracking' (for lack of a better description) number from Canada Post. Unlike their sister service the USPS, the Canada Post tracking number is a true, in-transit tracking number like Fed-Ex and UPS. i followed the item from counter acceptance to the border, after that, it was a guessing game.

the saving grace to my impatience....kid at christmas.....was that it was shipped at a priority mail level, so the anticipated delivery was within normal priority mail delivery estimates for coast to coast USPS service.

USPS is reliable, but not 'modern'.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts