Archery Talk Forum banner

help with what this bow is worth?

854 Views 4 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  atvkb
so i guess i have some decision making to do. its been quite a few years since ive been into archery, long story short i cant afford a new bow (at least at my local shop), so i want to offer my brother some cash for his old Martin, and while i wouldnt bother offering him more than say a hundred bucks, im curious to see what this thing is actually worth... another long story short, he hasnt used it since probably '05-06, and probably wont use it in any near future. he has given me permission to get it cleaned up and use it for a while- but it would cost me to get it fitted to me and then i think he expects me to pay refit it to him when im 'done'. first off, its need new strings and a little cleanup anyways, so theres no way im going to pay to get it refitted back to him because he would need to get it fixed up anyways if he were to use it this second. so i suppose if i were to just "borrow" his bow, it would cost me just over a hundred bucks to get it fixed up, fitted, and grab some arrows, and off to practice i would theoretically be, then somewhere in the future i'd either have to give it back (with the argument of 'you have to pay to fit it back to me' which im not doing, nonetheless, annoying and frustrating), or hope he just forgets about even letting me use it and possibly be able to keep it.

so. i dont know, a compound bow was bought in 2005 for my brother for i dont know how much money. its a "fuzion cam Martin magnum". it has been used for a few weeks/months when it was bought, in 2005. since then it has either been sitting in the basement or where i just grabbed it from- the outside shed. just collecting dust. and bugs and webs. i can tell at the VERY least, besides needing to be fitted to me, it definitely needs a tune-up. but besides that, the body of it seems like its in perfectly fine shape... so im wndering if anyone could toss out a possible idea of what its worth, what it'd be worth in terms of what i should offer him (because you cant just give your little sister a bow you've practically never used, and never will, everyone knows that). OR if it is even worth making the decision to offer him anything and get my own bow. the way i look at it- im on a budget, theres possible potential in a decent compound bow that already exists in the household, if hes willing to sell it to me, im spending around $200 to get myself setup with it, and im pretty sure i cant afford a decent compound right now. i kinda cant really afford anything about the martin, but at least its more flexible in terms of spending all of the money at once, where in this case i could buy the martin from my brother, then i at least have a bow. then i can make some money to later on be able to give it the tune-up it needs. opinions, questions, ideas?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Lowered expectations
20,224 Posts
Lots more information needed to estimate a value for the bow - model and condition, for one, but the main issue is, can it be adjusted to fit your draw length/draw weight needs? If it can't, then it's of no use to you.

It's probably a Jaguar which would be the lowest model, but we'd need to see a picture. If it is, $100 for the bare bow would be a fair price if it's in shootable condition. If it has accessories (rest, sight, stabilizer), could be worth another $50, could be worth another $300 - can't say without seeing them.

A replacement string set might cost you $75 to $150 including installation.

As for "fitting", the Fusion cams were adjustable with modules over about a 5 or 6" draw length range, and if you have the modules, there's no expense to change the draw length. Finding modules if you don't have them might be tough, might be easy, depending on your local shops or if someone here on AT has them. Not expensive, though.

Setting the draw weight is simple enough and costs nothing.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, im sorry like i said its been so long since ive been involved in wrchery so im a little off balance, ah all i can find out just from looking at it is what i posted in quotes- fuzion cam martin magnum. after posting original thread i noticed the discreet model name of "tracer". also i do think my brother probably got a few accessories that were, for him, probably unneccesary. Bow and arrow Bow Archery Compound bow Arm
Room Shoe Sportswear

· Lowered expectations
20,224 Posts
Tracer was the bottom end Martin bow at the time. Since it's about 8 years old, $150-175 would be as much as it's worth with the stuff that's on it in the picture, if it's all in good condition.

You have to find out if it can be set to your specifications. Take it to a local shop that knows what they're doing. Have them look it over for condition. Get your draw length and draw weight figured out, and see if the bow can be set to that. I think the Tracer was adjustable from 26-31".

Then, if it's all OK, decide for yourself if you like the bow.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks. the only thing not in the picture, and i cant even tell if everything one the bow is visible in the pic, is he got a quick release trigger for it, but we cant find it ATM, i know its somewhere...
i told him our local shop was going to charge at least $100 to restring, set/fit it (obv to specifically one of us) and do any small tuning. i was right on the price, but like i said LONG story short, he cant believe its that expensive and thinks thats a rip off and that i can absolutely definitely find somewhere to do it for a very significantly lower price. hmmm. like i know i havent been in this field in any way for a really long time, but damn i heard one hundred and five dollars (price includes supplies needed) to do basically get it in proper shape and fitted and i thought that would be a relatively normal price...

but yeah thats why i came on here to ask, i figure in terms of time-wise planning: figure out what its worth by the time i go to the shop to find out if the specs are compatible to me, and if they are, then offer him tops a hundred bucks for it. if he takes the offer, well then i got myself a working bow that i mean really has nothing wrong with it, and is asthetically pleasing to me, and i generally like (i think ive gotten more sentimental with it than my brother, even just walking by it so often), for around 200 bucks... and some change for some arrows or whatever. sounds good to me!
if he doesnt take the offer, or the bow isnt compatible to me, then oh well, it'll make a nice wall ornament, and ill just keep kinda day dreaming until i have legit money to spend! a few hopes and dreams of an american? I WANT MY OWN DAMN BOW! and i dont wanna spend no money on it! hmph... 'murica.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.