Archery Talk Forum banner

help

814 Views 12 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  TnHunter619
ok i got a new set of arrows from my uncle who never used them. my previous arrows were cut at 28.5'' and the new ones are 31.5'' i measured them but anyways im out of my old arrows so im shooting the new ones. i really like them and im shooting great but my question is should i get them cut does that 3'' really have any impact on my previous arrows? another thing anyone use thunderhead broadheads? im thinking of getting them since its $40 for 6 compared to the 30-40 for three. thanks i appreciate any input
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im not worried about spending the money to get them cut or the inserts but i was just wondering if it had any impact on anything? and what does a stiffer spine do? i have heard a longer arrow corrects itself better than a shorter arrow?

· Registered
1,087 Posts
ok i got a new set of arrows from my uncle who never used them. my previous arrows were cut at 28.5'' and the new ones are 31.5'' i measured them but anyways im out of my old arrows so im shooting the new ones. i really like them and im shooting great but my question is should i get them cut does that 3'' really have any impact on my previous arrows? another thing anyone use thunderhead broadheads? im thinking of getting them since its $40 for 6 compared to the 30-40 for three. thanks i appreciate any input
The arrows do matter. What spine are they? Whatspine were your old ones? Did you spine match your old ones?

· Registered
1,087 Posts
They are basically the same arrow as long as they are the same spine. Are they 4560s or 6075s?

· Registered
437 Posts
If they are the same spine as you said, you still need to cut them. My new arrows are only 3/4" longer than my old ones (same spine) and I need to cut that 3/4" off now to get them to spine correctly in order to shoot broadheads. 3" will have a huge impact on the spine. My suggestion is cut them if the old ones flew true with your setup with broadheads.

· Registered
1,087 Posts
IF they are both 60/75s then you are close to what you were shooting. But they still need to be cut to fine tune. BUT wait, if you do not know how to fine tune spine, don;t cut them until you do or someone else does. You may be buying new arrows if you get it wrong.

Spine is basically the flex in the arrow. It is measured by the manufacturers by setting a weight in the middle of the arrow and measuring how far it flexs. So 4560 are different spine than 6075. Those numbers are telling you that specificaly.

4560 terminator hunter lite is 0.398"
6570 terminator hunter lite is 0.342"

The 4560 will flex more and if they are too weak for your bow, they will break and that can be dangerous. The 6075 will flex less and if they are too stiff, you will not be accurate.

Believe it or not, it is a fine line between stiff and weak. As long as you are not way off, you should be safe and fairly accurate.

What bow are you shooting?
What is you draw length? (From back of grip to string at full draw +1.75")
What is your draw weight? (what is the peak weight it takes to draw it)

There should be a label somwhere on your bow that say DW, DL, etc...

These numbers can helpme get you pretty close. You can adjust many thing before you buy new arrows (arrow length, draw weight, tip weight, etc...)

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok so i should go get the arrows cut at the pro shop?? i have a question though if this is necessary then how come my pappaw and his buddies shoot old bows with full length aluminum arrows and they can shoot accurately and kill deer?
but my bow is the bear lights out
28'' draw and im shooting about 65 lbs it can go to seventy and i use 100 gr field tips hope that information can help and i really have no idea how to tune a bow i got it for christmas last year and just started shooting it and i can hit 2'' groups out to thirty yards so i thought i was fine... maybe not huh?

· Registered
1,087 Posts
ok so i should go get the arrows cut at the pro shop?? i have a question though if this is necessary then how come my pappaw and his buddies shoot old bows with full length aluminum arrows and they can shoot accurately and kill deer?
but my bow is the bear lights out
28'' draw and im shooting about 65 lbs it can go to seventy and i use 100 gr field tips hope that information can help and i really have no idea how to tune a bow i got it for christmas last year and just started shooting it and i can hit 2'' groups out to thirty yards so i thought i was fine... maybe not huh?
Believe it or not, 6075s at 31.5" is almost a perfect spine for you bow at 65#! If you cut them to 28.5" they will be too stiff for your bow even if you turn it up to 70#.

The 4560s will shoot best at 60# if you cut them to 28.5".

2 inch groups are very good, if you can do that with every arrow. An occasional 2 inch is a good start but remember it only takes 1 arrow to miss a deer.

Your dad and his buddies probably shoot fine, but they would find it alot easier to shoot tight groups, if they had a good spine match.

For future reference. you bow at 60# needs something in a .400 spine, at 70# it will need a .340 spine, and at 65, a .380 spine.

I have 60-70# bows but prefer to shoot them at 60# for the smooth draw. Accuracy is far more important than power. I also shoot a .400 spine at 60# with a 28" draw.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.