Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys and gals, I'm looking to buy my first crossbow and have no idea where to start. I've looked in the classifieds on here but haven't had to much luck. So I wanta know from some people with experience whats the best bang for the buck in the crossbow world? I need to keep my total spending under $1000. I'm no brand loyal nor does it have to be new. Any advice would be appreciated:)

·
Registered
487 Posts
There are 2 types of xbows!

1. Recurve type (Excalibur)
2. Compound Type (Ten point ect)

If you want to keep your tinkering to a minimum then i suggest you get a Excalibur type. (Avoid imitations)

If you have experience with string and cam rotation then a Compound type could be interesting! (Avoid lower ends company's)

a Recurve type xbow can be taken down by hand with a stringer! this means you can change your string or adjust on the fly! No bow press needed!

Compound needs a bow press!

What i suggest is Excalibur Pheonix With the package for anywhere between 600-800$ new depending on where you buy it from.

If you want compound, you may want to look into a Wicked ridge package! This is anywhere between 400-600$

You can get a ten point pro slider for about 500-600$ but its bare!

I always stay away from used unless im 100% sure of the previous owner like if you brother had one or your uncle and used it like 3 times! You never know if it was dry fired or what damage it has taken.

I would start by going to a local store that has xbows and see if you can shoot one! if not just take a look at prices and try to get info then get back home a.s.a.p and compare prices!

Internet is your best friend! :)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Wyvern Creations best deal and help you will get.603 659 0575!
David will do you right!

·
crossbows are archery :)
7,056 Posts
Best guy to deal with

Wyvern Creations best deal and help you will get.603 659 0575!
David will do you right!
David will hook ya up. :shade: But more importanly he will NOT take ya for a ride. Very Honest person.:darkbeer:

Koz

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm leaning towards the parker buck buster 175. What do you guys think about those? How's the speed, accuracy, and dependability?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Do yourself a favor and give David a call at Wyvern Creations 603-659-0575; It will be the best investment you can make . David will talk and walk you though all the options.

·
Incureable tinkerer
4,257 Posts
Ditto on the Dave suggestion.
One more thing to consider: a recurve can be let down (using the rope cocker) after the hunt without having to shoot an arrow. I HATE stumbling around in the dark with a cocked bow to find a safe place to unload my compound...or hauling it back cocked to the truck where the target resides.
Recurve: simple to maintain, tough as nails, fewer things to go wrong, but wider.
Compound: narrower, can be faster, more things to go wrong, need a press to change strings and cables. SEXIER.
Only you can put value these, based on personal considerations and how you hunt. If I got to keep only one (gasp) in would be a midrange recurve (likley Phoenix of Ibex).

·
Registered
734 Posts
Dave does have a website and it can be found at : http://www.wyverncreations.com/ He is a great guy to do business with.

The only thing I can add to the excellent advice you have been given is to go shoot some crossbows and the decision will probably make its self. Cabelas, BassPro, or a local archery shop if they sell crossbows,.
Bob

·
Registered
727 Posts
There are a lot of good crossbows out there. Ask 10 people which is the best, you'll likely get at least 5 different answers. First, set a price point. You may be surprised to find out that there are several new models which fall within your budget. Decide which style you want...recurve or compound....try and find dealers who sell the brands/models that you're interested in. I'd recommend trying (or at least holding) as many models on your list as possible. The right crossbow for you will be the one that fits you the best, and gives you the most features for what you can afford.

David at Wyvern is an excellent source of information. If you decide to go the mail-order route, he would be your best option. good luck

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
i own a strykeforce which i bought from dave. this bow shoots 380-390 fps.the bow alone will cost you a grand. but you don't really have to upgrade. the strykeforce is my third bow in 14 years of crossbow hunting. i don't believe i'll be buying another.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just spent an hour on the phone with david, seemed to be very knowledgable. I ordered the Parker cyclone, and should have it early next week:)

Thanks for the advice guys!:darkbeer:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts