Archery Talk Forum banner

Help...

909 9
I bought a Hoyt Nexus recently. And my limbs won't fit right. The Dovetail? wont
go in all the way. So the dimple won't set. The limbs need to go atleast another 1/8 th
inch in I believe. Sorry about the terminology, I am a rookie.
They are PSE comp limbs I bought from Lancaster on clearance. My Samiick Privledge limbs don't quite fit either. I adjusted the limb bolts out 6 turns from bottomed out.
That made it worse. Now they are out just 1 to 1/2 turns out, and it is better.
Was wondering if I have to have Hoyt limbs. I really like the bow. But I dont have an over abundance of cash laying around to keep buying limbs.

Both sets of limbs fit fine in my Samick Vision. No Problems at all ... Maybee there is something I am not doing right. ??
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,457 Posts
At least one of these sets should fit cleanly. Sometimes there is a buildup of lacquer on the inside of the limb slot. You can try using some string wax on the slot - less drastic than takikng a file to it. (Though the fitting is pretty much standard, their are tolerance difference and there may be extra lacquer in the slot.)

Are you sure you're putting the limb between the top of the main bolt head (the one with the tiller/weight adjustment) and above the ridge on the shaft of the bolt? To clarify, the bolt has a cap that goes above the limb base (towards the target), and a ridge meant to go under the limb. If you're pushing the limb into the lower bolt flange, it's no go.

I did find that Samick limbs didn't fit on the KAP T-Rex because the T-Rex tapered towards the center of the riser (towards the limb base) while the Samick limbs were more parallel to the limb and got pinched on the outside of the limb in the tapered KAP limb pocket. I don't think this is the case with the Nexus.

I hope this helps.

· Registered
88 Posts
Bummer. I have a Hoyt Nexus Riser and even with hoyt limbs, it took a little getting "used to" at first to get the limbs seated completely. I remeber thinking they didn't fit at first. And it took me awhile to get them in at the proper angle everytime I put them together for the first few weeks. Now they slide in no problem and seat just fine.

Not sure what is going on with your though.

· Registered
69 Posts
Hi Knotdoger,

Here is a thought... have you tried to loosen the two adjustment screws on the riser to let the dove tail dowel sit loose first.
Also try to take off the large limb bolt to see if the dove tail can still slide in. This will remove one factor in trouble shooting.
Then try to push it in again. It may be that the dove tail needs a little more room to seat itself. By the look of your last pic.
That screw should be in the center of the 2 screws to be perfectly in position.
Also show us a pic of the PSE dove tail bolt to see if there may be any issues with it.

Good Luck!

- Heph

· Registered
240 Posts
Hi Knotdodger.

I think Hephaestus is on the right track here. I wouldn't start filing your limbs just yet. If you slacken the little hex screw (in your first pic) you may be able to roll the dowel so that the semicircular edge sits a little bit further towards the grip - this might be enough just to let the detent pin drop into the receiver.

here's a quote from the Hoyt manual (easily found online)

"A dowel that is not in the optimal radial position does not affect accuracy, however, rolling the dowel too far may make it difficult to remove limbs after shooting. A dowel which is not rolled far enough may fail to allow the detent on the limb dovetail to positively click into the dowel, complicating the stringing process."

I've seen a few rolled too far, yours sounds to be the opposite.

Good luck.

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I rolled the dowel just a little like you guys said. Just a little below the limb pocket. I seemed to work. The Samick limbs fit better for some reason.
The Hoyt riser makes some marks on the limbs near the dovetail , across the limbs like the pocket is doing it.
I appreciate the help everyone. But, I think I will dump the Hoyt and get a different riser.

· Registered
240 Posts
The Hoyt riser makes some marks on the limbs near the dovetail , across the limbs like the pocket is doing it.
I suspect that's normal. Haven't shot a Hoyt riser for a while but IIRC, with Hoyt risers the fulcrum of the limbs is across the dowel - certainly it's common to see contact marks straight across in line with the Hardlok. Many other risers have the fulcrum a little closer to the end of the pocket, so you see the marks higher on the limb butt.

· Registered
226 Posts
I rolled the dowel just a little like you guys said. Just a little below the limb pocket. I seemed to work. The Samick limbs fit better for some reason.
I appreciate the help everyone. But, I think I will dump the Hoyt and get a different riser.
same thing with my friend's nexus actually.. his samick bf extremes fit in those pockets like a glove

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.