Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend is wanting to get into archery with me. I am worried about starting her off wrong, too much draw weight etc. Do you have anything that I should keep in mind when looking for her set up.

She is always trying to show me how tuff she is so I am worried she may try to get a bow that is set too high for her to start with so she dont look weak. She was very disappointed that she couldnt pull mine back even after I explained over and over again that it is 70lbs, and archery uses muscles you dont use for anything else.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey,
I just started archery and I am pulling a 45 pound draw weight. So maybe a bow that has a 40-70 pounds so she can grow with it as she really gets in to archery. But it is were she feels comfurtable shooting at that draw weight

Brian

·
Registered
159 Posts
WVDeerHnter said:
My girlfriend is wanting to get into archery with me. I am worried about starting her off wrong, too much draw weight etc. Do you have anything that I should keep in mind when looking for her set up.

She is always trying to show me how tuff she is so I am worried she may try to get a bow that is set too high for her to start with so she dont look weak. She was very disappointed that she couldnt pull mine back even after I explained over and over again that it is 70lbs, and archery uses muscles you dont use for anything else.
Not knowing your girlfriend, it is hard to tell you what to look for. Talk to her about what she feels she can pull. Let her know that most first time shooters start out at a lower poundage and builds up to higher poundage as they build their strength up. I started out at 33#'s when I first started shooting. Speed can be nice, and you get better speeds at the higher poundage...but knowing your yardage and placement of the shot can be more important than speed. And if you are short like me...with a very short draw length...you soon learn that you are never going to be shooting high poundage because you can't get it.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I would take her to a pro-shop and let them explain to her that when starting out she cannot (and in all reality may never) pull 70 pounds.

Then let them set her up with what will work for her. I also agree that a adjustable, even if she never adjusts it, is the route to take.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I know alot of guys who have trouble pulling 60lbs. I don't think it is realistic for anyone to feel like they have to pull that much weight to be an effective archer.

If you are interested, I am getting ready to sell my Red Target Bowtech. It has 60 lbs limbs on it now, bit I also have a set of 50 lbs limbs that I will include. With the 50 lbs limbs you can easily dile it down to 40 lbs. If you are interested let me know. Either way I hope things work out for you.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
depending on the woman involved 40 to 50 is a great range to start out. still plenty of KE to take a deer down.

now if she totally rips the cams off at 50 lbs say five or six times in a row then i might think about getting a 60lb max. but not many women i know shoot that much poundage. if they do they are terrible shots.

·
Registered
149 Posts
cfuhrer said:
I would take her to a pro-shop and let them explain to her that when starting out she cannot (and in all reality may never) pull 70 pounds.

Then let them set her up with what will work for her. I also agree that a adjustable, even if she never adjusts it, is the route to take.
That is exactly what I was going to type. When I first went in, I was expecting to only pull 35 and I was at about 45. I would just take her in and have her try. Many women start low (30-35) and quickly progress as strength increases.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
All the women I know pull back between 35-55#. There isn't a need for her to even start out with a higher weight. If she gets a bow, her first concern, needs to be form, then accurracy, then weight. I hunt at 48 lbs and through out the summer work my way up to that. My bow shoots a fast arror and I have yet to miss a near that I felt was due to a slow shot. Also, her even trying to pull back 70# could put her at risk for getting hurt or hurting your bow.

Defintely take her to a shop were they can test her out. Also, tell her to log on and she can chat with us.

Carrie

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tell her it doesn't matter what weight you shoot, even if you have been shooting for years. Like everyone else has said your form and ability to duplicate shot after shot is the only important thing. She will hate to shot if her weight is too high and she'll only be able to shoot a few arrows at a time before her arms and shoulders give out. Its best just to start for fun than work up. I started at 30 lbs and now am at 50 lbs, but I really don't think I will ever shoot higher than that. Hope this all helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts