Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've just started helping out with a 4-H archery group, and I've got some questions. First, we are going to start a 4-H group in our town(it used to be county but its too large, driving too far), and we need targets, bows, arrows, so on and so forth. Are their any companies that are really supportive of 4-H or similiar programs and would give us discounts/free equipment. Mainly we need targets and stuff like points, fletchings, things that break when kids miss the targets. Second, are their any fundraisers that you have found to be exceptionally "fruitful"? In my life I've done a lot of shotgun raffles, or similar raffles. I was thinking about going around to local businesses and asking for donations, then I would have a plaque made to show who donated. Any ideas? Lastly, I was considering making compressed cardboard targets. Anyone else have any ideas for targets? Most of the kids shoot low poundage, alot of recurves. They have a 50 lb limit, and no broadheads, so the targets don't take a ton of abuse. Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Seriously? 160 members online and not one bit of advice for any of my questions? I'm trying to get archery going in our town, I figured this forum would consider this something worth talking about.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Our 4H-rs shoot at the local shop (I think its for $2) during the winter, and at the 4H leaders house during the summer. No target expense.

All the kids shoot their own equipment.

I'd start at the local shop and ask for loaner bows for kids without. :)

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I am a 4H Shooting Sports instructor/leader in Indiana. We have the same problems you have. The county I live in has no indoor archery ranges (or bow shops :( )

Raffles are not allowed by 4H as it is considered gambling. You are risking trouble if you do this.

The most successful fundraisers we have had are open-to-the-public trap shoots. The kids setup, work the traps, sell concessions, tear down, clean up and take part of the fee, $4.50 per person per round. The gun club or conservation club where these shoots are held also takes part of the fee and usually ends up signing up several new members as a result.

Other leaders in our club have successfully begged for donations to support the club as a whole. I don't really like begging but it has worked to some extent. Entities that donate receive a receipt for tax purposes (charitable contribution).

We are fortunate to be supported with facilities and ammo by the local NRA gun club and some gun club owned .22 rifles. The 4H club owns a few rifles, shotguns, pistols, muzzleloaders and bows and arrows. The leaders provide the rest. Kids may use their own equipment after parents signing a release form and the equipment passing inspection. No child is expected to provide any equipment of their own. If they don't have any it does not matter at all. We will provide it for them on shooting days.

All leaders have to have completed training in one of the 4H shooting sports disciplines (rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader, pistol, archery, hunting and wildlife or coordinator). This training and certification takes place twice a year at Ross Camp near Lafayette, IN. One certified instructor/leader must be present in order to offer that discipline on a shooting day. Other leaders may help as can parent volunteers. Parent volunteers have to have been approved by the 4H board which involves a criminal background check and reference check.

We buy Mathews Genesis bows and the recommended aluminum arrows from the Indiana Hunter Ed branch of the DNR at NASP rate ($111 for a bow, $131 for 5 dozen arrows) free shipping. They sell targets too but we (the club) only own 2 targets. The rest of the targets are my personal Morrell Range Cube's that I let the club use indefinately. We also occasionally borrow PSE takedown recurves from the DNR Hunter Ed which helps alot.

For backstop material (for the fliers that miss the whole target butt) I am currently using 4x8 sheets of corrugated plastic donated from a local plastic extruding company. This stuff is just like corrugated cardboad (box material) only thicker and made from plastic and it's stiffer. Arrows penetrate but do not pass through from 35lb and under bows. This is stuff they were going to throw out due to defects or leftovers from a change in chemical composition from one run to the next that could not be easily recycled. I have also used heavy movers blankets hung from a clothesline as a backstop donated from a local moving company. These are refrigerator blankets or similar with broken straps for example. Stuff they were going to throw out anyway.

We shoot bows indoors on the indoor pistol range with the backstop material behind the target butts but in front of the steel bullet trap. NASP and the DNR sell a BCY netting material for this purpose but it is high dollar and too expensive for our club.

Sorry for the rambling and disorganization to this. PM me for my phone # if you want more infomation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts