Archery Talk Forum banner

Henned Up!!!

968 Views 19 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Jgrund07/OH
I was scouting for this weekend this morning, and there were at least 8 gobblers just in various directions, the one group of birds that I went to look at had 4 gobblers, and 26 hens:eek: How do I hunt these bird? They gobble every morning on the roost but they do not respond to calls much, and do not come in. How should I hunt these birds this weekend?
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
312 Posts
You can still call to them but do it Very sparingly and hang around the mid day hunt is better on henned gobblers just make sure they know you are there and sit tight

· Registered
1,959 Posts
With a Bow or shotgun! Seriously though I always heard the toms will make note of where your setup is and eventually make their way there. I would recommend putting them to sleep the night before make sure you know where they are and sneek in extra early. Good Luck and Let us know When it Airs:darkbeer:

· Registered
459 Posts
You hunt them as soon as they pitch off the roost. Pattern them if they roost in the same tree see which way they go as soon as the come off the roost and set up as close to the tree as you can with out spooking them and wait.

· Registered
3,588 Posts
wait....

late morning the hens will head to nest. When they do the toms will be very callable. Cutting and Running from 10 - 2 can be deadly.

· Registered
975 Posts
I was scouting for this weekend this morning, and there were at least 8 gobblers just in various directions, the one group of birds that I went to look at had 4 gobblers, and 26 hens:eek: How do I hunt these bird? They gobble every morning on the roost but they do not respond to calls much, and do not come in. How should I hunt these birds this weekend?
I suggest a .220 Swift.... ohhhh...forgot that's not legal.

· Registered
14,752 Posts

· Registered
1,466 Posts
same

same problem here!! HOWEVER i went and put some leather on the ground yest and found where the turkeys are going around the dam of a lake.... i mean it looks like a cattle trail from all the turkey tracks.... i suggest maybe lookin for the travel corridors and see what happens ;) thats what i'll be doin.....

· Registered
Mathews Chill X
6,897 Posts
re

give them time the hens will get bred and he will look for your fakes.
Great advice! The only problem is, 26 birds will take quite some time for the Toms to breed. In the mean time, I would be patient and set up quietly in the edge of the field that they are meeting in.

If this doesnt work, work your way patiently and quietly in the dark and try to set up near their roost/bed. If you know what way they are going in the morning, then you will have a good idea of where to set up

How long is your season? If you have a month or so left in the season, then its just a matter of time til one of those toms comes to you.

Good luck

· Registered
1,287 Posts
Find the roost for the hens and the goblers. Then sneek in before daylight between them. If not get as good as you can in their travel route and use a pretty boy or out call the boss hen and bring the whole flock your way. Sometimes a very aggresive approach will break a subordinate bird off to check things out. Lastly run and gun when all else fails, if you get a bird to hammer in mid day a kill is often easy. Good luck Dan.

· Registered
17,332 Posts
We seem to always be faced with henned up scenerios early in our season... especially since I've been takin' kids out during the early Youth season. Instead of traditonal-style turkey hunting where a guy tries to run-n-gun or expecting to call 'em in from any distance, we've learned to rely more on our scouting and hunt 'em like DEER basically. A well selected ambush from a good blind and decoys placed close to that blind has made us pretty successful at the game now. Scout and then apply what you learn about that particular group of birds. Good luck and good huntin'

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.