Archery Talk Forum banner

Here a snort, there a snort, everywhere a snort snort

1081 Views 8 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Meat
For the last two evenings there have been deer snorting downwind, upwind everywhere hundreds of yards out from my stand. I will hear squirrels start to bark and then deer snort. I don't think the deer who are upwind are winding me and they are too far out to be seeing me through all the brush and trees. I really have no idea what is going on. Using the same scent eliminating processes I used last year and was only winded a couple times, and those deer were right on me and downwind. If it happens again this evening, I am going to do some hiking to find out what is going on. See if I jump a coyote or something.

Meat
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
394 Posts
I hear deer snort sometimes over 1/4 mile from my stand. They snort to let others know of danger, we aren't the only danger in the woods. Coyotes will make them snort like crazy.

· Registered
1,362 Posts
Do you have friends like mine? Deer were snorting at me for about a week. They were up wind, down wind, didn't matter. Come to find out...some guys in camp hung up some white bed sheets about 100yards from my stand. It was pine thickets and I couldn't see but about 30. They got me pretty good.

· Registered
659 Posts
She most likely heard you or saw you walking to your stand. Once she heard you climbing it was all over. I used to think deer had to smell you to snort, but that is pretty far from the case. If an old doe sees or hears anything she doesn't like it can set her off. I have an old doe here on my property and she snorts at absolutely everything, she drives me crazy. She started freaking out the other night when I put out the garbage, I mean come on lady, chill out.

· Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will almost bet it is a coyote or other predator since the snorts seem to coincide with very loud squirrel barks. I don't believe the deer thar are upwind are close enough to see me. I am well concealed and the snorts seem to be coming from way off. I did get a few pics of a pack of wild dogs last week, but there is no barking going on when the deer snort. I will give it a go again tonight and see if it happens again. Thanks for the advice and replies.

Meat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.