Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to start out by saying that this is a little long winded.

It's no secret that I'm still in college, and a couple of years ago I scraped enough clank together to get a $100 dollar moultrie game camera. Well it served me well for two seasons, but never would display the date right. Sometimes the time would work, but not always. Anyway, after we shot a bear this year, I took it down and gave it to my dad because he said he'd get something figured out with it. Well, he somehow persuaded someone to replace that camera for him.

Since he had that camera lying around, he set it up on some private land he had permission to bowhunt on. The next day he went out and saw the camera was not there. He thought maybe the landowner may have yanked it thinking it was the neighbor's (he has had stands stolen because of them before). Well, the landowner, who is a friend, said that he hadn't taken it. So my dad went and asked the neighbor if he knew anything about it. The neighbor freaked out at him and said, "you're libeling me!!! I didn't steal any stinking cameras!!!" (he probably should've said slander, even though my dad never accused him, just asked if someone had pulled it thinking it was on their property)

Well, he let it go thinking it was just a hundred dollar camera and didn't think anything more about it. A couple days ago, he went out to that area again, and found his camera put back up in the tree, with the card gone. Apparently, someone felt too guilty about stealing it :embara:

Just thought it was kinda neat that someone would actually put it back after stealing it. There's still hope left guys.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
That only means he was sniffing in the right area and someone got scared.

Its nice to hear of someone getting their property back, regardless of how it happens.

I think I would move that camera, it might come up missing again.

·
Banned
11,666 Posts
Neighbor is my guess. Felt bad and put it back. Who else would be able to slip in and out and know they're not going to get caught? If the first thing out of his mouth really was "libel" that's the clue. Someone that didn't know anything would ask details first then deny it.

·
aka "5 Spot"
9,756 Posts
And the fact that the card was missing is a pretty good indication that the theft was sure his/her picture was on it, but didn't know how to erase.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I'm sure you thought about it, but it would be worth checking the camera's internal memory- you never know.....

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,226 Posts
Crazy

I think if a guy who is considering stealing something would stop and ask himself;

"Is this short term gain worth possibly wrecking my reputation?"

"Is it worth the 'Always Knowing' that I stole and having to justify it to myself forever?"

A man with a pure heart can always walk with his head high- rich or poor- knowing he is right.

Keep an eye on that neighbor of yours.....

·
In constant pursuit of...
8,435 Posts
I have said this before,....take an electric solder iron and literally burn your name into the front cover,....I do this to all of my cameras. The way i see it, if they steal it, they will always know who it belonged too. They cant sell it,....it really only leaves them with the option of taking a chance getting caught with my camera or destroying it................I havent lost a camera yet.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have said this before,....take an electric solder iron and literally burn your name into the front cover,....I do this to all of my cameras. The way i see it, if they steal it, they will always know who it belonged too. They cant sell it,....it really only leaves them with the option of taking a chance getting caught with my camera or destroying it................I havent lost a camera yet.
I told my dad to get this done, cuz I won't be back for quite a while.

I'm gonna check the internal memory too, as my dad isn't quite computer savvy enough to figure out how to do that. He's doing well just convincing his wife to load the pictures on the computer for him.

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
23,704 Posts
Wow

I'm going back to look for my three P41's that went missing when the orange army invaded my private property last week - maybe I'll get lucky too....

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
i'm going back to look for my three p41's that went missing when the orange army invaded my private property last week - maybe i'll get lucky too....
ouch!!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Still an a-wipe

Don't kid yourself, the guy is still an a-wipe because he stole it.....he's just an a-wipe with a conscience.

If your dad didn't corner him, would he have returned it?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do find it strange that it disappeared the weekend before rifle season and then shows up a couple days after rifle season ends.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Its too bad you couldn't just hook up an IED to each of your game cams . . . then when they go missing just pick up the cell phone and remotely detonate it.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Cool

1 - 14 of 14 Posts