Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a guy give me a Herters 40# @ 28" bow yesterday.
Can anyone tell me anything about this bow ?
Its a model perfection 52" in perfect shape.
I dont know anything about these so any info would be helpfull. Is there any value to these?
Thanks Chad

·
Registered
491 Posts
www.archeryarchives.com has a nice section on the Herters. I have a Perfection Mag 62" 50# @ 28. However I've heard that their measurements maybe a little off. But it's a nice bow that thumps those arrows down range. Herters has been described as the Cabellas/Bass pro of the 1970,s.

·
Registered
20,768 Posts
FFF -

IMHO, it's a wall hanger. Herters made a number of nice bows with georgous hunks of rosewood for risers in the 60's and 70's. Their limbs were "OK", but not great (design and construction). That particular bow is LESS THAN 52" given the way Herter's measured they bows (they didn't use the AMO standards). While their limbs were OK in the longer lengths (I still have two Herters, both in the 70" range), something that short will show very early stacking making it uncomfortable to shoot, again IMHO.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
210 Posts
herters bow

Chad, I have 5 Herters bows, I happen to like them. Great looking wood, and they spit an arrow out there pretty good. You can tell when it was made by the serial number. Say the # is 56037418. 56 is the length of the bow. 03 the month it was made. 74 the year. And 18 the number of bow made that month of that style and length. And Viper is right, they stack fast. If you draw 28" or less no problem. I have a 30" draw. Most bows stack around 2# per inch over 28". My Herters stack about 4# per inch over 28". It adds up fast. Value hard to say. Check ebay, some Herters bows in good shape sell pretty high. Others that were beat up, not alot. I paid $300 for a Utopia 72" target bow. Came with 30" stabilizer, a back stabilizer, sight, and 6 arrows. I was happy. Hope this helps. Brad

1 - 4 of 4 Posts