Archery Talk Forum banner

He's down!

2182 Views 35 Replies 36 Participants Last post by  hobbs4421
I shot this buck on October 8th at 6:15. He is 18.5 inches inside and is a 5.5-6.5 year old deer. We have trail pics from him for three years now. His is surely past his prime. Last year he was 11 points. I don't care. I just feel lucky to have been given the chance to harvest this particular deer. We have some that will score a lot better. I was ready to shoot a huge doe that had been out in the field feeding very slowly my direction. When she was at 40 yards I heard something back in the woods about 100 yards or so. It sounded like it tripped over a log or something or had just gotten up out of his bed. It took a while to get to the field edge. I was still focused on the doe not knowing what that was exactly. She was now at 32 yards and I was ready to drill her. Her head came up and looked to the edge of the field and there he was - 40 yards. The wind was perfect and he worked in. He was approx. 25-27 yards when I took the shot. He made his death run to the edge and then down the hill he went about 25 more yards. I love it when a plan comes together!

I have other pics of him as well on the link in my signature. We had nicknamed him the Apple Tree buck 3 years ago becuase the first picture we got was under an apple tree. Ironically the last picture we got of him was the one in September under an apple tree.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
2,477 Posts
5.5 or 6.5 year old buck is a trophy no matter what size his antlers are. (although I wouldn't be complaining about them) congrats!

· Banned
1,969 Posts
sweet, job well done:darkbeer:

· Classifieds Administrator
39,736 Posts
Congratulations on a great buck. Great pictures too, thanks for sharing!

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Right on!:darkbeer:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.