Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok first the question, does a 125 grain tip really increase penetration?
recently bought a pack of easton axis st 340s at a local shop, got 5 for 30$....winning! lol well anyhow, got home, realised, didnt have the inserts :pukey: next day was at the farm working and after lunch took grandpa to cabelas, got me some inserts, and some orange x nocks, and a pack of nap crossfire 100s on sale, in the bargain cave for 15$. again winning! got home, and cut a 2016 aluminum arrow down to make footers and nock blockers. total weight of arrow w/ reinforcements is 405 grains, coming out of my 70 pound 30 inch burner at 315 fps on the chrony. (arrows are 27.5 inch, i shoot an overdraw trophytaker) anyhow, i love these arrows. they penetrate a full 3 inches more than my old terminators and mayhems, ive been shooting them between 20-50 and love them to death, pull so nice from 3d targets even with the footers. i got the wild idea to try 125 grain tips, so i put a couple on, and shot them they penetrated even deeper, another 2 inches. so thats 5 extra inches! i was amazed. what do you guys think, would it be worth getting some 125 grain broadheads to see? i lost about 5-6 fps with the 125, but they hit crazy hard. both arrows group the same, only the 125s hit about 1.5 to 2 inch low at 30 and about 4 inches at 50. i was wondering if theyd hold their momentum and trajectory better long range, what do you think? need advice, and help. oh yeah foc went from 11.5 to 13.2 i wonder if this would help anything? thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry for the long, post. started to rain so i cant be out shooting, and i cant chop wood now cuz the wood pile is in the puddle lol

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you think it would actually help in terms of hunting and or long range accuracy? or would the lighter faster arrow be better long range for trajectory?

·
Sandgate Archery
4,044 Posts
for me I would rather have the penetration, the added foc, the added mass for less wind drift potential than the fps. But I use a range finder and a 1 pin sight. Added mass also =a quiter bow. It is "to each there own" thing I prefer 500 grains or more

·
Registered
645 Posts
This is one of the great debates. Speed vs energy/momentum. Where you getting pass thru before? They aren't real heavy. I think that the middle ground is safe here. If you go to light you loose penitration. To heavy and you shoot rainbows. I think some people are happy shooting spears.
Your not to heavy and it should help you get complete pass thru. still screaming. I'm shooting a totally differnt set up to get the same speed with the same weight, so I hope it works for you...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, never not had a pass through, but im going elk and moose hunting this year and am a little nervous. i do like the middle ground idea though, not too light, not so heavy i cant reach out and have some fun. does anyone know how i can post a video here? i just went and shot at 80 yards with my new easton axis 340s. kinda impressed.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
check this out guys

first time outside this year due to the weather, not too bad. sorry i made a few mistakes in the vid, 1 it is my 60 yard mark not my 50, 2 didnt realize i used foul language, and 3 the whole tippin the target over thing. lol ill get er down pat eventually.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts