Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lease is in Wagoner Co.

Looks like the herd is healthy, seen some good bucks. Fields have turned green due to recent rains.

Deer counts showed some good bucks. Looks like 2006 should be good.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I seen Eight bucks late yesterday. Looks to be a good year down here:banana:

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are acorns are not great

ftshooter said:
Hey ,,Db are there going to be any acorns this year ? .I will be down your way at some point again this year ..Here is a good read on Deer in Oklahoma ..

http://www.oklahomagameandfish.com/hunting/whitetail-deer-hunting/OK_0806_01/
Most are smaller than normal years, just seem to happen ever three years or so. My buddy at Talhequah says he has acorns and buddy around Depew area says he has acorns ever where. I have been watching the deer here lately and seems there on the new green coming up from recent rains. Saw several deer the other day and they diffiantly were eating that new green tender coming up.
DB

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Not many acorns around Ardmore

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Good morning fellow okies. Coffee --> :darkbeer:

The acorn mast is down from last year. Maybe looks good in some areas but nothing like last years bumper crop. The pecan and beech and every kind of nut producing tree was loaded this time last year. Some trees in my area have no mast at all really this year.

The deer numbers in my main deer woods seem better than usual this year tho. It's near a creek leading to lake Eufuala. The creek as been drying up all summer. It's causing a lot of the deer to move closer to the lake and my stands.:wink:

Good luck okie bros.:)

·
Registered
559 Posts
It will be better than Texas in early October, but fade in November. :wink:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
deer hunting

we have notice on our lease near deep fork acorns not near as plentiful and what there are seem to be pretty small, saw few bucks recently but over course of summer have seen large number of does and fawns, have seen more fawns this summer than last 8 years on lease. guess thats a good sign

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the mild winters

Will keep the deer poulation growing. We harvested several coyotes three years ago and we are seeing those fawn crops now as three year old bucks.

I think the best thing we have done on my lease was trap those coyotes.

We do deer counts and we notice a big increase in fawns.

Water holes may be a popular place if we dont keep getting more rain.

Looks like a good chance Sunday

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Last year the high amounts of acorns made my hunting a little tougher. This year I feel like I can zero in on the few trees that did produce. Should make the deer move a little better. I also agree that if we don't get anymore rain that in the early season, water holes might be a good place to start. I know that I jumped a few deer of an almost totally dried up little pond just the other day.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
slinger09 said:
Thanks for the read. Very informative. One good thing about the drought is it should make water hole hunting alot better.

Your welcome, I can hardly wait ...I have a few stands out now ... may scout a little this weekend .. down by Cherokee PH hunting area ..

Best of Luck to all of you ...Thanks, for the Acorn info ..maybe they will be moving more looking for food sources this year..

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm not an Okie but I live and hunt in Oklahoma and this season looks like it may be average to slightly above average for my place in eastern Cleveland Co. No acorns or persimmons to speak of, which is nice(for me at least) for a change. The little bit of rain has helped for the very short term. Where I am, the deer have become very hard to pattern in the last month or so.Anybody else seen this change? So hopefully we will all have a great 06-07. It's the long range outlook that scares me. I'm affraid this may be the last good year we will have if weather patterns don't change. Good luck everybody, can't wait to see some pictures.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Burr and other oaks are putting on in Major county. Looking at the pics from my trail cam this could be my best season ever!:darkbeer:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Oakies

has anyone ever heard of Buck Brush Outfitters or Smalley's taxidermy the guy's name is Matt he does a fantastic job and is a really nice guy besides A+ or 5 star whatever he is really great

1 - 15 of 15 Posts