Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone....

How many pounds do you guys shoot for outdoors?

Started at 34# and am up to 42#...still building my stamina though.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,194 Posts
I shoot what it takes to get a good sight point out to 90 meters with a barebow. I was at about 47 pounds which was a bit heavy for me. I am now around 43 but my sight points are still very good. That is using 36 pound Border HEX5 limbs. I recently shot with a sight for the first time in a fund raiser; I went to 32 pound limbs or somewhere around 40 pounds at my draw length, which was much easier having to go through a clicker (I did the full Olympic thing, sight, clicker, stabilizer, split finger, under the chin anchor). I learned that sights DO actually make it easier to hit the center of the target.

·
Registered
670 Posts
44 outdoor, 36ish indoor. i shoot 710 acg's with 100 points for ourdoor, only pull my sight in by 3 holes for 90

·
Genesis 21:20
21,661 Posts
44-47#, depending on the event, the bow/riser combo and the arrows I'm trying to tune. Used to shoot 49-50# but no more. Shoulders and neck don't like that if you're not shooting 100+ arrows/day.

John

·
Registered
399 Posts
42.5lb, gets me out to 90m uncomfortably lol, I have to turn my carbon blade doinker sidways so I can see the target XD but otherwise all the other distances upto 70m are perfect

·
Registered
825 Posts
I shoot 43, on my fingers, with a 27-1/4" draw. 90m is difficult. The sight has to be so far in and the arc so pronounced that I had to make a special bracket to drop down the longrod a couple of inches-otherwise the tip is directly in my line of sight and obscures the target. That is with my practice set-up (using Navigators-100gr). With my ACE's, I can get there with a little less pulling-in of the sight and without the bracket. I also sometimes use a tab with a ledge that is built-up 3/4 inch.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I shoot 43, on my fingers, with a 27-1/4" draw. 90m is difficult. The sight has to be so far in and the arc so pronounced that I had to make a special bracket to drop down the longrod a couple of inches-otherwise the tip is directly in my line of sight and obscures the target. That is with my practice set-up (using Navigators-100gr). With my ACE's, I can get there with a little less pulling-in of the sight and without the bracket. I also sometimes use a tab with a ledge that is built-up 3/4 inch.
I had a similar issue with my setup. I found an 8 degree offset quick disconnect for my long rod. It gets the tip of the rod out of my line of sight and moves the CG a bit lower....I like the results.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I've been shooting 47# for a strong minute. I don't get that much practice as I used to, but 47# feels like a good compromise. I've never really shot below 46# (yes I started with a 46# bow when I continued shooting after ~15 years break, I stopped at about cadet age) but few years ago lingered around 50# mark. I competed for 15 years in martial arts so it hasn't been that much of an issue.

I feel comfortable when I'm able to shoot 250 arrows a day easily, when I get below that, rather than drop poundages, I do a bit of SPT at home to get back to the groove.

·
Genesis 21:20
21,661 Posts
Another solution to getting the longrod out of the way at 90m is to use a shorter longrod... ;)

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
Just stepped from 32# to 36#, its not feeling that different to be honest except the new limbs aren't quite as smooth. I will have to see how I feel after a full-length session.
This is for 3D/Outdoor/Field Barebow and NFAA Trad.

-Grant

·
Registered
740 Posts
I am fortunate enough to be able to shoot daily and have over the last several years worked to the point where I can comfortably shoot 44#. Recurve bow form and accuracy falls off very quickly at a draw weight considerably lower than my current in my experience.

In my opinion 40# is plenty of draw weight for those who are fortunate enough to be able to shoot regurarly. I should follow my own advice.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
48# on the fingers for both outdoor and indoor. Too lazy and cheap to buy lighter limbs. I can reach 90 with the sight bar all the way extended, so no moving the sight around for outdoor. I also shoot 3-6 times a week year-round. Blank bale if I'm not at the range. No way I could handle this weight otherwise.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been shooting 34 pounds for about 7 years now (sames limbs). But then again, I mostly shoot indoors, and shoot maybe 1~2 outdoor shoots a year. So, it works better for me :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts