Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 10128 Posts

·
Pay It Forward
26,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Nicko and his new Green Egg there has been a bunch of smokehouse talk recently, so much so over the last 24hours that I had to go out and roll me a fattie....

Before

During

Pre smoke

In the smoker now....can't wait

I was on such a roll I forget to snap shots before "the roll" - once the bacon weave was complete and seasoned, with the sausage rolled over top, I slather the sausage wtih Sweet Baby Rays Original BBQ sauce, on topo of the slather goes pepperjack cheese, spinach, red onion and garlic. Roll the sausage UP, roll the bacon weave down - season again - I have become a HUGE fan of the Kansas City Rub that Open Season produces - can grab it lots of places, even Cabelas now. Their seasons are not nearly sa salty as many others on teh market.

It's in the smoke house now, holding a solid 210 degree temp with a heavy hickory/pecan smoke - couple hours (internal temp of 160) I'll pull that baby out and brush with a bit of a sweeter sauce, Sweet Baby Rays Honey Blend. Whole fattie didn't run me $25 and will taste like a MILLION bucks - even hada little left over for ac couple chubbies.... :wink:

PIcs of the finished product later...

If you're a smoker - share some of your craft!!!

Joe

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I'm jealous, our old smoker finally rusted out and needs replacing. I've looked into welding a new one but it's more expensive to build your own (from steel) if you factor in the money and time spent..
Looks good though, I'm an avid pork smoker

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I've taken to making my own rubs. Brown sugar, ancho chili powder, granulated garlic, kosher salt, paprika, black pepper, onion powder and some others. Ribs, chicken, and pork are my specialties. Still trying to get brisket right. I also do all my jerky, snack sticks, etc on it.

·
Catch us if you can!
5,716 Posts
Looks like something someone would make after rolling up a fattie lol looks amazing, I envy you guys with smokers.. I have 15lbs of salmon and trout fillets that need done, maybe I'll build one sometime

·
Corripe Cervisiam
25,303 Posts
Looks great, making me hungry Joe...though the SBR sauce isn't my favorite and my doctor would take me out and shoot me if I ate that much fat in one sitting.

I've been just grinding my elk and deer with no fat added- a buddies tip. You have to be careful how you cook it as it drys out if not careful or overcooked.

In my smoker, I like to use dry rubs- Kinders is one of my favorites, sprinkle liberally on the ground meat, wrap in bacon- thats it. I smoke it at 160 for an hour [+/- dep on how thick] then either turn it up on high or finish on the BBQ to internal temp of 140-145. My smoker has a water tray so the meat doesn't dry out too bad.

The ground with no fat works good in spaghetti sauces too- just when frying cook on lower heat with some olive oil- healthy and great tasting, IMO, gives you more of the meats flavor which is great with mild meats like elk/ whitetail deer...something with more gamy taste will need more seasoning/slow cooking.

·
Pay It Forward
26,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the chubbies are done.....keep in mind these were pretty basic - the bacon wrapped sausage with a touch of BBQ sauce inside along wtih a slice of pepperjack.....not nearly as in depth as the fattie....but a great teaser none-the-less

Here is the sweet bologna that came out last night...

I have been trying for some time to replicate the amazing 1889 bologna that is available at Weavers of Wellsville - if you like sweet bologna you've got to trya stick of this stuff....so far my own recipes are not quite there yet, just like hunting - trying is where the fun's at:wink:

Joe

·
Pay It Forward
26,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks great, making me hungry Joe...though the SBR sauce isn't my favorite and my doctor would take me out and shoot me if I ate that much fat in one sitting.

I've been just grinding my elk and deer with no fat added- a buddies tip. You have to be careful how you cook it as it drys out if not careful or overcooked.

In my smoker, I like to use dry rubs- Kinders is one of my favorites, sprinkle liberally on the ground meat, wrap in bacon- thats it. I smoke it at 160 for an hour [+/- dep on how thick] then either turn it up on high or finish on the BBQ to internal temp of 140-145. My smoker has a water tray so the meat doesn't dry out too bad.

The ground with no fat works good in spaghetti sauces too- just when frying cook on lower heat with some olive oil- healthy and great tasting, IMO, gives you more of the meats flavor which is great with mild meats like elk/ whitetail deer...something with more gamy taste will need more seasoning/slow cooking.
I prefer Jack Stack's Kansas City Orignal sauce, but I am fresh out and this fattie was a family project and my kids LOVE the SBR. My 9-yearo ld daughter took care of rolling the sausage and cutting the cooked bacon on that I put inside, while my 11-year old son built the bacon weave, mixed the spinach, onion, and grlic mixture and seasoned the meats.

My smokehouse has a water pan alos and I put 1 cup of apple juice in the pan during the smoke for this project.

Joe

·
Pay It Forward
26,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Weavers is only about 5-6 miles down the road from me. They do great meats. A buddy of mine had them make bologna out of one of his deer, the flavor was out of this world! Their sausages are fantastic as well.
I have tried sweet bologna from all over and thier 1889 recipe is amazing to me...I am hoping that I got a little closer wtih last night's batch. I have learned over the years that the true flavor shows-up about 24-30 hours after they have cooled. I'll likely take my first taste tomorrow.

I love the fact that Weavers sent online - I can now get the 1889 whenever i want....
http://weaversofwellsville.com/

Joe

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Your cardiologist is on the phone...

Reactions: Zeroed4x
1 - 20 of 10128 Posts