Archery Talk Forum banner

9041 - 9060 of 9182 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I don’t know if there’s much difference in how others do it but I do know that if you take the temps up too fast you’ll end up with a really thick rind. You also don’t want to bump the temps up much over 180 for very long or risk fatting out.

Maybe someone else has a quicker way. Mine have always turned out well so I haven’t changed anything.
I can get up early enough to make the timing not an issue but the no smoke for the first two hours will be more of my problem along with the temp. If pbuck says that’s how it should be done then I’m a believer lol. The problem is I watched the summer sausage video Justin Zarr from bowhunt or die put up and he just popped his smoker on the lowest setting and let her run. For some reason that video overrode everything in my brain I had read this fall on how to correctly do SS. My traegers lowest setting is 180 and because it’s a pellet smoker there’s gonna be smoke the duration of the cook. I could prob run them for the first two hours in the oven and then transfer them to the smoker to avoid that but I’ll still be flirting with 180 all day. I could try and run a pan of ice cubes to help but I don’t know how that will go. I don’t know how I let that video cancel out everything else I knew lol but I guess it’s because his way was a heck of a lot easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: pbuck

·
Beer Whisperer
11,264 Posts
I can get up early enough to make the timing not an issue but the no smoke for the first two hours will be more of my problem along with the temp. If pbuck says that’s how it should be done then I’m a believer lol. The problem is I watched the summer sausage video Justin Zarr from bowhunt or die put up and he just popped his smoker on the lowest setting and let her run. For some reason that video overrode everything in my brain I had read this fall on how to correctly do SS. My traegers lowest setting is 180 and because it’s a pellet smoker there’s gonna be smoke the duration of the cook. I could prob run them for the first two hours in the oven and then transfer them to the smoker to avoid that but I’ll still be flirting with 180 all day. I could try and run a pan of ice cubes to help but I don’t know how that will go. I don’t know how I let that video cancel out everything else I knew lol but I guess it’s because his way was a heck of a lot easier

Oh heck, I didn’t realize you were doing them on your pellet grill. I don’t know how important the no smoke part is and it is what it is with the temps. There’s nothing you can do about that so I guess just let er rip and do your best to keep the temp as low as possible. You’ll probably have a pretty heavy rind on the outside but it might otherwise turn out just fine.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Oh heck, I didn’t realize you were doing them on your pellet grill. I don’t know how important the no smoke part is and it is what it is with the temps. There’s nothing you can do about that so I guess just let er rip and do your best to keep the temp as low as possible. You’ll probably have a pretty heavy rind on the outside but it might otherwise turn out just fine.
I’ve got a vertical propane smoke but the temps fluctuate a bunch and they’d prob end up even worse. I did snack sticks on my traeger and they turned out pretty good. I tried to keep the lid cracked to help with the temps. We’ll see I guess no turning back now

·
Registered
577 Posts
Getting in on this late. I smoke my summer sausages on my pellet grill. I run them at 175f for as long as it takes. It takes a while but depends on what size sausages you make.

I use the casings that hold about 1lb or so and I think it took about 5 hours last time. It's worth the wait.

You want to keep the temps as stable as you can and don't turn them up if possible.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
We’re in the oven with a 130 goal for 2 hours. Lowest setting is 170 but with the door cracked I can keep it lower. Then we’ll transfer to the smoke at the 180 setting and see what happens

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Well pbuck may cringe lol but they were done in 6 hours. Gave them an ice bath and now they’re drying

·
Beer Whisperer
11,264 Posts
Well pbuck may cringe lol but they were done in 6 hours. Gave them an ice bath and now they’re drying

Lol! I’m no sausage snob! Looks good!

It’s probably turned out great and I may be doing mine that way from now on. I’m stubborn in that way cause if it works, I don’t usually change it. I may learn something.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts

Lol! I’m no sausage snob! Looks good!

It’s probably turned out great and I may be doing mine that way from now on. I’m stubborn in that way cause if it works, I don’t usually change it. I may learn something.
I’m the same way buddy. It’s good. My first attempt so I’m not sure if the rind is thicker than how your do it or not. It’s got great color, isn’t crumbly, and good flavor. If I had the means to easily run low temps, I’d try it your way, but after this attempt I won’t hesitate to continue doing it how I had to

·
Beer Whisperer
11,264 Posts
Good deal! Texture is a big thing and as long as it didn’t melt all the fat out then it’s all good!

I know my first couple batches didn’t turn out very good and all the work and time is wasted.

So now that they’re done how bout the info. What seasoning, cheese and the meat ratio?

·
Registered
13,424 Posts
I did some snack sticks on the pellet grill a few months back. Mine only goes down to 180 and they weren’t bad but it did render the fat and they weren’t my favorite. The masterbuilt with mailbox i used to have made better sausage but i dont have much time for doing it really so I prefer to have someone else make them. Lol

·
Registered
300 Posts
I’m the same way buddy. It’s good. My first attempt so I’m not sure if the rind is thicker than how your do it or not. It’s got great color, isn’t crumbly, and good flavor. If I had the means to easily run low temps, I’d try it your way, but after this attempt I won’t hesitate to continue doing it how I had to

Looks terrible! I'll gladly help you dispose of it if you ship some my way ;)

Kidding aside it looks great! Wishing I had an actual stand up smoker for these things instead of the Weber Kettle. It just doesn't have the rack space to do a decent amount of sausages, and I have to do Jerry in batches. I have been eyeballing the Masterbuilt MES 30 that I keep hearing so much about.

For tonight I have some venison stew on the stove. Trying out a recipe. If it works put well, then I'll do it again but using a cast iron Dutch oven and charcoal.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Reactions: hokiehunter373

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Good deal! Texture is a big thing and as long as it didn’t melt all the fat out then it’s all good!

I know my first couple batches didn’t turn out very good and all the work and time is wasted.

So now that they’re done how bout the info. What seasoning, cheese and the meat ratio?
I hear ya there. It’s not worth that

This kit: Deer Sausage Seasoning Kit. For Smoked Sausage.

Cheddar hi temp cheese
Pepper jack hi temp cheese

Both from PS seasonings I believe

I didn’t think I could fit a full 25# on my smoker and didn’t want to find out so I did 12# deer, 3# pork butt, 1.5# cheese (.75 of each split in two batches)

They’re both good but I think I’d like more heat from the pepper jack. Could prob add jalapeño to it. I tend to find that all prepackaged seasoning leaves a little to be desired and I feel that way again but honestly it’s is dayum good. I’m SUPER happy for my first go. I’m eating it as I type this and it’s moist, has bend, doesn’t crumble, great color, good flavor, the cheese is awesome. I love it. Gonna be hard to give away what I had planned to lol

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Well I just ate like 1/4 of a roll lol. May take back my previous statement about flavor for pre mixed seasoning. The pepper jack is amazing. I might just eat summer sausage the rest of the week

Pb, my guess is the rind is a smidge thicker than what you deal with. It’s something to bite through but nothing to fight with. I’d say give this method a shot on a small batch. 2 hours no smoke at 130, 4 hours (or until 152) at 180

·
Beer Whisperer
11,264 Posts
Nicely done! I’m gonna try to speed mine up!!

That’s the same mix I’ve used from the start and I see no reason to change. Good stuff.

I always make 12.5# batches and mix 4.5# pork butt with 8# venison and 1# cheese. Only thing I add is about 3 Tbsp mustard seed.

Reactions: hokiehunter373

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Did picanha for the first time. Smoked it on the Rec Tec, rested it, sliced it, and seared it on the Weber using my Vortex. Not too bad.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Nicely done! I’m gonna try to speed mine up!!

That’s the same mix I’ve used from the start and I see no reason to change. Good stuff.

I always make 12.5# batches and mix 4.5# pork butt with 8# venison and 1# cheese. Only thing I add is about 3 Tbsp mustard seed.
Let us know how it goes.

I'll have to try and remember the mustard seed next time

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Let’s play a game. I call it “guess which tritip I pulled off the grocery store cooler shelf and guess which tritip I was given from an actual butcher???”

9041 - 9060 of 9182 Posts