Archery Talk Forum banner

9061 - 9080 of 9142 Posts

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Let’s play a game. I call it “guess which tritip I pulled off the grocery store cooler shelf and guess which tritip I was given from an actual butcher???”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From yesterday...if tritip Tuesday isn’t a thing already than it should be. Smoked on the Rec Tec and seared on the Weber using my Vortex. Tried to eek out just a hair more char on it before pulling it off the coals and ended up running it just a bit past where I normally like to have it finished at. Still damn good.

And it’s ironic...go to a real actual butcher, ask for a tritip, and get what I assume is a sirloin tip (the original post.). Never smoked a sirloin tip but will either do it that way or do that and then sear it. Any suggestions on slicing it? Should I do it like a chunk of steak and ear it with a knife and fork or slice it thin for sammiches? Or do you guys prefer a sirloin tip done some other way?

·
Registered
477 Posts
From yesterday...if tritip Tuesday isn’t a thing already than it should be. Smoked on the Rec Tec and seared on the Weber using my Vortex. Tried to eek out just a hair more char on it before pulling it off the coals and ended up running it just a bit past where I normally like to have it finished at. Still damn good.

And it’s ironic...go to a real actual butcher, ask for a tritip, and get what I assume is a sirloin tip (the original post.). Never smoked a sirloin tip but will either do it that way or do that and then sear it. Any suggestions on slicing it? Should I do it like a chunk of steak and ear it with a knife and fork or slice it thin for sammiches? Or do you guys prefer a sirloin tip done some other way?

The juice running off that board... that’s what it’s all about!! Perfect for mopping up with some of the meat or even maybe a pice of toast or a roll!!!

·
Registered
576 Posts
I love me some tri tip! I also like the idea of tri tip Tuesday but not sure I'd give up Taco Tuesday.

Maybe tri tip Thursday instead?

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Has anyone mixed summer one day and then stuffed the next? Running short of time. thinking it might not be a good idea as the meat will stiffen. Anyone done this?

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'd try to do it all in one session. I have heard of people mixing and stuffing at the same time then putting it in the fridge overnight prior to smoking.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Has anyone mixed summer one day and then stuffed the next? Running short of time. thinking it might not be a good idea as the meat will stiffen. Anyone done this?
If you do that you're going to have to add more water before stuffing it. I don't think I'd recommend it but I bet you can make it work. I did what KineKilla said and mixed and stuffed the same day and then gave it 18ish hours in the fridge before smoking. From what I've read it's best to give the meat time to get that cure in it which you would be doing.

·
Human Bean
15,273 Posts
Those of you with Eggs and other Kamado style grills: who is using a blower or other control system (like the smobot) for temp control?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Those of you with Eggs and other Kamado style grills: who is using a blower or other control system (like the smobot) for temp control?

Big Joe III with FireBoard 2 Drive. Amazing! Love it. My Yoder YS640s has the FireBoard built in. Loved it so much I bought the standalone for my Kamado Joe. Don’t have any experience with any other models but I can’t imagine it getting much better than the FireBoard.

·
Beer Whisperer
11,222 Posts

For anything longer than 3 or 4 hrs I use an older model Digi-Q on my BGE. It’s not fancy and doesn’t do any wireless connections but it works. I can do a 12 hr cook and never touch the Egg. I’d for sure buy something with more features if I had to buy one now but it’s not worth replacing.

·
Beer Whisperer
11,222 Posts
A few more and it’ll be time for some smoked trout next week. That stuff is fish crack lol!

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
A few more and it’ll be time for some smoked trout next week. That stuff is fish crack lol!

Man, I need to find a reliable spot around me to get some of them

Reactions: pbuck

·
Beer Whisperer
11,222 Posts
Man, I need to find a reliable spot around me to get some of them

Luckily about 30 minutes away theres a nice little lake that they stock once a month. Caught 6 more this morning. These are from the last stocking in February but the lake was frozen over till a couple weeks ago so there’s plenty of fish left.

I gave a couple to a friend but still have 3# of filets I’m going to brine up and smoke tomorrow.

I have a small Jon boat and catch them trolling Joe’s flies....

Reactions: hokiehunter373

·
Beer Whisperer
11,222 Posts
Filets are out of the brine, rinsed and now working on the pellicle. Probably hit the MES in a couple hours.

Amazing how much liquid comes out of the fish after just 4 hours in the dry brine.

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
24,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,076
What do you use for your dry brine?

·
Beer Whisperer
11,222 Posts
What do you use for your dry brine?
6 c. Brown sugar
1 1/2 c. kosher salt
2 tbsp. onion powder
2 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. paprika

I had 3# of filets and there was a little left over.

Reactions: 12-Ringer

·
24,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,078
6 c. Brown sugar
1 1/2 c. kosher salt
2 tbsp. onion powder
2 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. paprika

I had 3# of filets and there was a little left over.

·
Beer Whisperer
11,222 Posts

·
24,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,080
Looks great...do you shoot for an IT or just a set time/temp

9061 - 9080 of 9142 Posts