9101 - 9120 of 9142 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
New Traeger add on product
AprilFools-PelletOn

TRAEGER PELLET-ON

Earn Your Burn
Introducing the Pellet-On, an all-new way to get a great workout and power your Traeger grill at the same time. Simply rig up your road bike and plug your Traeger grill into the Pellet-On to run your grill using pedal power. It’s time to give the “meat sweats” a whole new meaning.
https://www.traegergrills.com/link-not-set-amp

·
Registered
292 Posts
Imagine running an brisket overnight for a 14 hr cook and then having guests over for lunch?

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
29,197 Posts
Have a ham I'm going to smoke up tomorrow and take up to my parents with other sides. They didn't want to cook so I offered for us to cook it all and bring the meal to them.

Anybody have Easter smoking plans?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Since the wife wanted some prime rib this weekend, but we're heading to her parents house tomorrow for Easter ham, we'll just do it today. Threw some olive oil and salt covered spuds in some foil to go with it.

Will try to get pics of the final product.

Reactions: pbuck

·
Registered
292 Posts
Have a ham I'm going to smoke up tomorrow and take up to my parents with other sides. They didn't want to cook so I offered for us to cook it all and bring the meal to them.

Anybody have Easter smoking plans?
I've been wanting to try making my own ham someday. Starting with an uncured butt or something.

Reactions: nicko

·
Registered
292 Posts
Final product of the prime rib. Had a nice thick smoke ring around the top, and plenty of flavor. I trimmed. Some of Some of excess fat off the top and salted the meat 24 hrs in advance to dry brine it a bit. Then a few hrs before cooking I coated with Traeger Prime Rib Rub. Cooked at about 225 - 250 F until internal temp was about 135, then stoked the coals and placed the meat over the hot coals to sear for a couple minutes on eat side..

Even our kids were happy and ate it without complaint, although they weren't big fans of the potatoes. Oh well more me ;)

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Haven’t done any bacon in a while...cold smoked on the Weber while the Rec Tec pulled Easter ham duty then put in on that to bring up to temp. Let them cure for a week. One batch of pepper and one batch of jalapeño. Didn’t get a chance to try any last night when I sliced it up (I know...totally sacrilegious) so excited to hammer some tonight before vacuum sealing and freezing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
HOLY F*** that looks glorious!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Haven’t done any bacon in a while...cold smoked on the Weber while the Rec Tec pulled Easter ham duty then put in on that to bring up to temp. Let them cure for a week. One batch of pepper and one batch of jalapeño. Didn’t get a chance to try any last night when I sliced it up (I know...totally sacrilegious) so excited to hammer some tonight before vacuum sealing and freezing.

Huh, smoked bacon, never thought of that one, sounds good! Do the jalapenos on top add much heat to it?

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Huh, smoked bacon, never thought of that one, sounds good! Do the jalapenos on top add much heat to it?
Not a smart azz comment but isn’t all bacon smoked? After curing isn’t that the next step in order to fully turn pork belly into bacon? Cheap azz 90% water bacon from the grocery store may not be but I thought it all was.

They don’t add any heat at all (at least to me they don’t but I’ve got a pretty decent heat tolerance...what I don’t think is hot will make my wife cry and want to go to the hospital) but do instill the jalapeño flavor. I use a dry cure (salt, pepper, sugar, etc) and put each piece in its own 2.5 gallon zip lock bag. On the jalapeño version I put a ton of the peppers in it on both sides of the pork belly that way it’s always under it and on top of it when I flip it in the fridge ever day while doing the 7 day cure. I used to have some ground jalapeño powder but ran out and haven’t gone back to the specialty spice store to get more and decided to try it like this instead and like it. This was the first time I actually left them on top of the bacon while smoking it. I think this batch did get a little more of the jalapeño flavor because of it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I was just thinking the same thing, "Isn't all bacon cured and then smoked?"

I went camping with a veteran buddy that made his own bacon last year and shared with us. It was glorious! Tasted sooo much better than any store bought stuff. Makes me wanted to get a couple pork bellies to try making my own, for when I meet up with him a some.other veteran buddies again this July.

I dig your double rack set up for the Weber! I have a spare 22" grate. I put 2 or 3 bricks flat (not tipped on their side) on the regular cooking grate about equally spaced and then put the extra grate on those and it lifts it up just enough that I can still get the lid on snug. I do this when making jerky and it gives me some extra space, although I still have to do about 2 or 3 batches when starting with about 3 or 4 lbs of meat (weight before drying out).

·
Registered
2,767 Posts

How do you cure your bacon? I’ve done them using the wet cure, tender quick cure and with pink salt cure.
All have produced good results with taste

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
I was just thinking the same thing, "Isn't all bacon cured and then smoked?"

I went camping with a veteran buddy that made his own bacon last year and shared with us. It was glorious! Tasted sooo much better than any store bought stuff. Makes me wanted to get a couple pork bellies to try making my own, for when I meet up with him a some.other veteran buddies again this July.

I dig your double rack set up for the Weber! I have a spare 22" grate. I put 2 or 3 bricks flat (not tipped on their side) on the regular cooking grate about equally spaced and then put the extra grate on those and it lifts it up just enough that I can still get the lid on snug. I do this when making jerky and it gives me some extra space, although I still have to do about 2 or 3 batches when starting with about 3 or 4 lbs of meat (weight before drying out).

I got it cause I’m fat and I eat too much so I always run out of room when I do wings. I wanted one I saw that was a side stack but this was all they had at the store when I went to get one. I thought it might also work well for getting a good sear over top my vortex vs being right on the grates over it and getting a little too much charge if I stopped paying attention for a minute. So far so good on both.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
How do you cure your bacon? I’ve done them using the wet cure, tender quick cure and with pink salt cure.
All have produced good results with taste
I’d call it a dry cure cause it’s all dry products but it doesn’t produce a good bit of moisture so is it technically a dry or wet?

I’m really bad about having a base recipe but then adjusting it each time based on the last results but I’m stupid and never write the adjustments down. So I’m sure these measurements aren’t completely right from what I did but basically:

Jalapeño
1/2 pork belly-Approx. 5 lbs
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup raw sugar
1/4 cup pepper
1-2 teaspoon cure (old pack from a jerky making kit...ran out of my Prague powder)
1 jar strained jalapeños (86 oz jar from GFS)

Put pork belly in 2.5 gallon zip lock bag. Mix ingredients and put half into bag on one side of belly and spread around and then flip and do other side. I used to put the ingredients on first then out belly in bag but all the little granules would get into the zip lock strips and it would never close right. Once both sides covered I put half jalapeños on one side, flip, and the rest on the other. Squeeze air out of bag, seal, and put in fridge. Let it sit in there for 7 days but flip it once every night. Pull belly out and rinse all loose stuff off in sink. Then usually I’ll cold smoke it in an apple/cherry mix for several hours and then fire the smoker up, set it at 180° which is my lowest setting and the “extreme smoke” setting and let it run until the IT of the belly is 145°-150°. Let it sit in the fridge overnight on a wire rack to cool off and firm up and then hand slice it the next day.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts

It’s a totally different thing then store bacon...even when I buy the “fancy” store stuff. First time I made some I thought I screwed up. I tried crisping it up like normal cheap store stuff and just kinda scorched it (partly because of the sugars from the cure I think.) I realized that for me this homemade stuff isn’t about crispy it’s about cutting it thick, warming it up good in a frying pan, and then eating it like a cut of beef (fork and knife.) I cut a. Oriole of 1” thick strips once and wrapped it around a 2-3 lb ribeye steak (yea...steak...not rib roast...like I said in an earlier post I’m fat. ) I called it The Swanson after Ron Swanson on Parks & Rec. It was amazing. I’m sure I have pics on here of it somewhere but I’ll find one and post it again.

9101 - 9120 of 9142 Posts