Archery Talk Forum banner
10061 - 10080 of 10128 Posts

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Well….I pulled the proverbial trigger.

Took me about 3.5 hours to unpack it and get it up on my deck then put it together. Sunny and 78 deg. …it’s hot as heck on the deck for this time of year. I cooked low n slow lol!!
Sweet, Love my Genesis. You’ll get many years outta that thing.

·
Beer Whisperer
11,870 Posts
Sweet, Love my Genesis. You’ll get many years outta that thing.
My old one was 18 yrs. old and still in decent shape. I gave it to a friend for his daughter to use.

Reactions: Billy H

·
Beer Whisperer
11,870 Posts
Can’t be the convenience of a good gas burner for quick meals versus fiddling with charcoal.
And hard piped to nat gas to boot! No dang propane tanks to fool with.

You’re right, nicko. The taste isn’t quite as good as doing them on my egg with charcoal but it’s much easier.

Tried the sear grate and zone out on a couple of reverse seared filets tonight. The lid thermometer said 625 deg. when threw them on after about 30 minutes @ 250. I know it was super hot on the grate cause the flavorizer bar was glowing red.

WOW! It was almost worth the price just for the searing part. I mean it was HOT

I have the flat griddle ordered too.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
And hard piped to nat gas to boot! No dang propane tanks to fool with.

You’re right, nicko. The taste isn’t quite as good as doing them on my egg with charcoal but it’s much easier.

Tried the sear grate and zone out on a couple of reverse seared filets tonight. The lid thermometer said 625 deg. when threw them on after about 30 minutes @ 250. I know it was super hot on the grate cause the flavorizer bar was glowing red.

WOW! It was almost worth the price just for the searing part. I mean it was HOT

I have the flat griddle ordered too.

Awesome brand marks!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Had an awesome day yesterday and got to learn from an awesome pitmaster. The Mens ministry at our church held a tailgating event for the local college baseball team.

We ended up going through ~90lbs (weight is before smoking) of Pulled Pork and 120lbs of smoked bologna along with 150 Nathans Hotdogs.

By the end of the day we only had about 20 Hot dogs left and no buns

On the left is Steve, the guy who smoked up all the pork the night before the game, and I’m on the right helping with the bologna (I got the easy part ) but I did help prep all the pork and got them all rubbed down prior to Steve throwing them all on the smoker later.

Tire Wheel Sky Shorts Cloud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Beer Whisperer
11,870 Posts
Caught these yesterday….

Turned them into these today…..we ate the two small ones last night.

Smoked with alder pellets and added a honey/maple syrup glaze.

·
Beer Whisperer
11,870 Posts
12-Ringer in 5-4-3-2....... :)
I have ringer’s custom bean recipe but haven’t made it yet. It has to be good.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I have ringer’s custom bean recipe but haven’t made it yet. It has to be good.
It's good. Been too long since I've made it but I rarely need that many beans lol

Reactions: pbuck

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
Hey guys looking to replace my masterbilt 30" electric smoker that shot craps last fall.
What are some reliable models?
Reviews are all over the place on masterbilt 30"?
Don't wanna break the bank either. Around $300 range, give or take. Thx?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hey guys looking to replace my masterbilt 30" electric smoker that shot craps last fall.
What are some reliable models?
Reviews are all over the place on masterbilt 30"?
Don't wanna break the bank either. Around $300 range, give or take. Thx?
If you don't mind cooking with wood and charcoal, and your a handy DIY'r with basic tools you could build an ugly drum smoker like this for around $300 like I did. Used a kit from UDSparts.com abd a few extras like a hinge for the lid.

You can customize it as much as you want. I set up 2 main grate heights, but with 2 extra grates with bolts for legs I was able to use 4 grates about 3" apart to do a batch of jerky. I did spring about $60 extra to get the upright air intake tubes so that I could adjust the airflow going into the coals (therefore adjusting the temperature) without having to bend over.

BigPoppaSmokers.com also has a cool kit that i was tempted by. Everything in the kits are bolt on, so no welding needed. Hardest part was finding a used food grade barrel and then giving it a good burb and scrubbing out the remnant of the food grade epoxy lining. I did use a little food grade high temperature red RTV sealant in a few places to seal things up. The RTV sealant can be found pretty cheap on Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you don't mind cooking with wood and charcoal, and your a handy DIY'r with basic tools you could build an ugly drum smoker like this for around $300 like I did. Used a kit from UDSparts.com abd a few extras like a hinge for the lid.

You can customize it as much as you want. I set up 2 main grate heights, but with 2 extra grates with bolts for legs I was able to use 4 grates about 3" apart to do a batch of jerky. I did spring about $60 extra to get the upright air intake tubes so that I could adjust the airflow going into the coals (therefore adjusting the temperature) without having to bend over.

BigPoppaSmokers.com also has a cool kit that i was tempted by. Everything in the kits are bolt on, so no welding needed. Hardest part was finding a used food grade barrel and then giving it a good burb and scrubbing out the remnant of the food grade epoxy lining. I did use a little food grade high temperature red RTV sealant in a few places to seal things up. The RTV sealant can be found pretty cheap on Amazon.

How clean does the area need to be to re-apply the high temp sealant?

I got a tube Surebond 188 from All Things BBQ to re seal my YS-640s.

They told just wipe the area down and re-apply. Said it doesn’t need to be super clean to ahead. I’m skeptical.

·
Registered
500 Posts
How clean does the area need to be to re-apply the high temp sealant?

I got a tube Surebond 188 from All Things BBQ to re seal my YS-640s.

They told just wipe the area down and re-apply. Said it doesn’t need to be super clean to ahead. I’m skeptical.
I had applied it to freshly dried high temp paint under the flanges for upright air intake tubes. That part of the barrel got cherry red during the burn out of the epoxy lining abd then crinkled and warped as it cooled. I tried flatten and bang it back to shape as much as possible but it was still pretty crinkly. I just sanded off the rust and burned paint residue. Painted with a couple coats of high temp spray paint. Then once that was dry I just added plenty of the sealant to ensure that any gaps were filled up but no so much as to block the 1 1/4 hole for the pipe, then bolted it in place. Seems to have dried and adhered fine enough for that. I had pretty good temp control so that must mean the air gaps are pretty well sealed up which was my main concern. I haven't tried unbolting the pipe and pulling it off to see how well things are stuck together.

Reactions: iflyskyhigh

·
Registered
500 Posts
Planning to pick up a ham today (if I can find one) and try making a double smoked ham. My mother in law broke her hip last week so we weren't sure if we'd be doing Easter dinner with them or on our own. Decided last night that we'll just be doing our own thing. That's why the last minute trip to the grocery store today (wish me luck!).

Anyone made a double smoked ham (take a pre-cured and pre-cooked ham and heat it up on the bbq/smoker instead of the oven)? Any tips? It looks pretty straight forward and easy. Any favorite glaze recipes/mixes?

10061 - 10080 of 10128 Posts